Sabathia is expected to miss his next two starts after sustaining the injury Sunday against the Mets, while Pettitte will be gone for at least six weeks with an injury that the team said will not require surgery. Pettitte was hit by a ball off the bat of Cleveland's Casey Kotchman in the fifth inning Wednesday.
"Been a bad day for left-handers today," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said after the Yankees beat the Cleveland Indians, 5-4.
General manager Brian Cashman said Sabathia felt a twinge in the muscle on the inside of his left leg in the fourth inning of Sunday's win over the Mets.
HOWARD TO BEGIN REHAB STINT: Philadelphia's Ryan Howard will begin a rehab stint tonight, a day after Chase Utley returned to the Phillies' lineup. The 2006 NL MVP hasn't played since getting injured on the final swing of the 2011 season in Game 5 of the NL division series against St. Louis.
Howard will serve as the designated hitter for Class A Lakewood. He could return to the Phillies within three weeks.
BAKER TELLS CHAPMAN: NO MORE ROLLING: Reds manager Dusty Baker made sure that closer Aroldis Chapman won't be doing any more somersaults after finishing a game.
Chapman did a pair of forward rolls after striking out Martin Maldonado to complete a 4-3 win over the Milwaukee Brewers on Tuesday night. Chapman has been struggling lately, and celebrated with somersaults toward home plate.
Baker talked to Chapman about it and said on Wednesday that it will never happen again.
Baker understood that Chapman was happy, but said he needs to express his happiness in another way.
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- High school football: Royals rock Grizzlies...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 72
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33