Utah Jazz, Kevin O'Connor relying on an old standby as guide for NBA draft pick
O'Connor even dismissed the notion that it made their jobs more difficult because some of the players they'd like to have visited with in Utah and worked out didn't want (or their agents didn't want them) to come because they believe they'll be long gone by No. 47.
"Most of them are older, so we have more tape and more preparation for them," said O'Connor, who watched many NBA hopefuls in workouts in Chicago, New Jersey, Minnesota and Europe. "We just had to chase them."
O'Connor did say the Jazz have probably spent more time focusing on the second-round pick than usual since finding out they wouldn't have their own first-round selection for the first time since 1994.
"When you have two (picks), you have to split the time a little bit," O'Connor said. "Now you're focused on your second-round pick."
At the same time, the Jazz have been digging deep into learning all they can about this supposedly loaded draft. Their "war room" will include a white-erase board with their rankings from players 1-60, individual position rankings and guesstimates of what other teams will do.
"We had prepared for it. Who knows what can happen?" O'Connor said. With a chuckle, he added, "Stay tuned."
2012 NBA Draft
Thursday, June 28,
Jazz Draft Day Party
The Jazz's annual draft party will take place tonight at EnergySolutions Arena. Doors open to the public at 5 p.m., and the draft begins at 5:30 p.m. in New Jersey (also televised on ESPN).
The event is free to the public, with the first 1,000 receiving a certificate for a free hot dog and a Salt Lake Bees voucher. Jazz tickets and merchandise are among the prizes that will be given away at the party, which includes balloon artists, concessions and autograph opportunities with Bear and the Jazz Dancers.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25