Utah Jazz, Kevin O'Connor relying on an old standby as guide for NBA draft pick
O'Connor even dismissed the notion that it made their jobs more difficult because some of the players they'd like to have visited with in Utah and worked out didn't want (or their agents didn't want them) to come because they believe they'll be long gone by No. 47.
"Most of them are older, so we have more tape and more preparation for them," said O'Connor, who watched many NBA hopefuls in workouts in Chicago, New Jersey, Minnesota and Europe. "We just had to chase them."
O'Connor did say the Jazz have probably spent more time focusing on the second-round pick than usual since finding out they wouldn't have their own first-round selection for the first time since 1994.
"When you have two (picks), you have to split the time a little bit," O'Connor said. "Now you're focused on your second-round pick."
At the same time, the Jazz have been digging deep into learning all they can about this supposedly loaded draft. Their "war room" will include a white-erase board with their rankings from players 1-60, individual position rankings and guesstimates of what other teams will do.
"We had prepared for it. Who knows what can happen?" O'Connor said. With a chuckle, he added, "Stay tuned."
2012 NBA Draft
Thursday, June 28,
Jazz Draft Day Party
The Jazz's annual draft party will take place tonight at EnergySolutions Arena. Doors open to the public at 5 p.m., and the draft begins at 5:30 p.m. in New Jersey (also televised on ESPN).
The event is free to the public, with the first 1,000 receiving a certificate for a free hot dog and a Salt Lake Bees voucher. Jazz tickets and merchandise are among the prizes that will be given away at the party, which includes balloon artists, concessions and autograph opportunities with Bear and the Jazz Dancers.
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 33
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28