Utah Utes football: Utes, Michigan agree to home-and-home series beginning in 2014
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah and Michigan have agreed to a home-and-home football series. The Utes and Wolverines will meet Sept. 20, 2014, at Michigan Stadium and Thursday, Sept. 3, 2015, at Rice-Eccles Stadium. The latter will be the season opener for both teams.
"Playing a home-and-home series with the University of Michigan — one of the country's most storied programs — is a great opportunity for us," Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said in making the announcement. "The game-day atmosphere in Ann Arbor is a special experience for players and fans alike. We also look forward to hosting Michigan in Salt Lake City, allowing the MUSS and all our fans the chance to give the Wolverines a taste of what game day at Rice-Eccles Stadium is all about."
Michigan will become just the second Big Ten team ever to play in Salt Lake City. The Utes defeated Indiana 40-13 up on the hill in 2002.
"A home-and-home series with Michigan is the kind of opportunity that comes with membership in the Pac-12 Conference," Utah athletics director Chris Hill said in a released statement. "I greatly appreciate coach Whittingham's willingness to add college football's winningest program to his already difficult 2014 schedule, which will also feature five Pac-12 road games."
Utah and Michigan have meet twice before, both in Ann Arbor. The Utes dropped a 10-7 decision in 2002 and prevailed 25-23 in 2008.
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- Busch turns weekend into clean sweep with...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 54
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 23
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 23
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 23