As well they should be, and given the ACC's history of ambitious non-conference scheduling, an undefeated or once-beaten team from the league certainly should be a strong playoff contender.
The six bowls rotating the semifinals will include three contracted with major conferences: the Rose (Pacific 12 and Big Ten), the Champions (SEC and Big 12) and, in all likelihood, the Orange (ACC).
Swofford said the ACC will announce its bowl tie-in "in the very near future," and all signs point toward a renewal with the Orange.
Other candidates for the semifinal rotation figure to be the Fiesta, Sugar, Cotton and Chick-fil-A bowls.
The BCS has always operated on four-year cycles, which worked like politics. As soon as one cycle (election) was complete, posturing for the next began.
"I think from early on in the discussions the vast majority of people in the room wanted something long-term," Swofford said. "Just so we're not reinventing the wheel every four years, because that gets old and tiresome. There was a feeling we needed to bring some stability to postseason."
The biggest remaining issue is how the playoff revenue will be divided. Conferences' past performances will be considered, but details are sketchy.
"It's probably a couple months down the road because we don't know what the valuation of the (television) contract will be," Steger said. "If you've read the numbers, over $400 million, $500 million, who knows? And given the magnitude of those dollars, you want to think it through pretty carefully."
Hey, college football needed more than 100 years to figure out a playoff. What's a couple of months?
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at No. 3...
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Cougars take center stage...
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- 5A boys state tournament roundup: Layton...
- Layton steps up big late to secure a 48-46...
- 3A boys state tournament roundup: Pine View...
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 92
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 83
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 63
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 36
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at... 25