As well they should be, and given the ACC's history of ambitious non-conference scheduling, an undefeated or once-beaten team from the league certainly should be a strong playoff contender.
The six bowls rotating the semifinals will include three contracted with major conferences: the Rose (Pacific 12 and Big Ten), the Champions (SEC and Big 12) and, in all likelihood, the Orange (ACC).
Swofford said the ACC will announce its bowl tie-in "in the very near future," and all signs point toward a renewal with the Orange.
Other candidates for the semifinal rotation figure to be the Fiesta, Sugar, Cotton and Chick-fil-A bowls.
The BCS has always operated on four-year cycles, which worked like politics. As soon as one cycle (election) was complete, posturing for the next began.
"I think from early on in the discussions the vast majority of people in the room wanted something long-term," Swofford said. "Just so we're not reinventing the wheel every four years, because that gets old and tiresome. There was a feeling we needed to bring some stability to postseason."
The biggest remaining issue is how the playoff revenue will be divided. Conferences' past performances will be considered, but details are sketchy.
"It's probably a couple months down the road because we don't know what the valuation of the (television) contract will be," Steger said. "If you've read the numbers, over $400 million, $500 million, who knows? And given the magnitude of those dollars, you want to think it through pretty carefully."
Hey, college football needed more than 100 years to figure out a playoff. What's a couple of months?
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get washed away...
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach...
- High school football: Bingham accepts invite...
- Jimmer Fredette trying to keep his head up as...
- BYU's senior day emotional for Cougar coach...
- Dick Harmon: Regardless of circusmtances,...
- High school football: Timpview overcomes...
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 116
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 110
- Runnin' Utes lose defensive battle at... 68
- Utes still have outside chance at... 36
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 36
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 31
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 30
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21