ST. GEORGE ISLAND, Fla. — Debby, the guest that wouldn't leave, is ruining things for a lot of other visitors.
Vacationers were wearing ponchos instead of swimsuits at the peak of the summer season because of the tropical storm, which has drenched Florida for at least four days straight like a giant shower head set up over the state's Gulf Coast. Debby has dumped as much as 26 inches of rain in some spots.
Disney World wasn't as crowded as usual, and one of its water parks closed because of the soggy, windy weather. Sea World closed early on Monday.
Along the Florida Panhandle, where Debby sat offshore nearly motionless for days, the parking lot at the 100-room Buccaneer Inn was empty because of a power outage ahead of the usually big pre-July Fourth weekend.
"We've had bad luck on this island," said the inn's vice president, JoAnn Shiver. "We've had Dennis. We've had Katrina. We had the oil spill."
In a state where the biggest attractions are the sand and the sun, Debby forced many to make other plans.
Douglas and Carolyn Green of Nashville, Tenn., were supposed to spend a week on St. George Island with three generations of family, but arrived to find the electricity was out and the bridge closed to nonresidents for fear of looters. They spent Monday night in nearby Apalachicola, and then all nine relatives headed to Fort Walton Beach.
"We never saw the island," Douglas Green said. "We're moving on. Plan B, I guess you'd call it."
- Ouch! Flu spray fails again, panel urges shot...
- Coast Guard: Body recovered from Gulf...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- House, Senate GOP seals agreement on $1.1B...
- US starts expected series of releases from...
- Weather helps crews battling Western...
- Texas affirmative action plan survives...
- Paris labor protest takes place without incident
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald... 62
- In need of help, Trump finds few... 39
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 33
- Democrats end 25-hour plus protest to... 30
- The pro-life plan that could reverse... 28
- Trump, in Scotland, links Brexit vote... 26
- Big ruling for abortion rights in... 26