Jared Hargrave, Deseret News
There have been over 350 wildfires this year. Naturally, some of the media chooses to focus on the 19 that were caused by target shooters. As this media focus will continue, I offer some suggestions to the shooting community — of which I am a part.
Experienced shooters know not to fire into dry grassy areas but to shoot toward sandy, rocky, bare areas. We also know to bring a blanket and fire extinguisher should the worst happen. We need to teach new shooters to practice safe shooting before hysteria closes down our shooting areas.
The BLM is doing an excellent job of posting signs in shooting areas warning of what can go wrong. If you see shooters doing something stupid, let them know.
- Dan Liljenquist: Chaffetz's search for truth...
- In our opinion: Frances B. Monson's...
- Matthew Sanders: Imploding trust in America's...
- Michael Gerson: As government's ambitions...
- What others say: Assault on core values
- Letters: Deception and government
- Letters: Paycheck Fairness Act
- My view: Climate argument is shortsighted