"One hive can produce 100 pounds of honey in the summertime, no problem," he said. "Once you taste your own honey, you will not want to purchase ordinary store-bought honey."
Provide a water source that's one millimeter deep or less. "The worst time for neighbors is in the springtime when they are looking for a lot of water," Whitby said. "The hive wants to ramp up production, but there are no flowers to forage on. If there's a water source nearby, such as your neighbor's pool or hot tub, they will train to it."
Don't use pesticides on your plants, as they can wreak havoc on bees. "Soapy water sprayed on a plant helps control a lot of pests," he said. "I think bees are more healthy in the city than in agricultural land where a lot of pesticides are used."
Valerie Phillips is the former Deseret News food editor. She blogs at www.chewandchat.blogspot.com.
Honey Soy Glazed Salmon
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Nonstick cooking spray
1 to 2 pounds salmon steaks or fillet
Stir together honey, soy sauce, garlic powder, pepper and lemon juice. Heat a charcoal or gas grill. Place the salmon fillet skin-side down on the grill. Cook on high heat about 5 minutes, then flip over. Brush the glaze on the already-grilled side of the salmon and cook an additional 5 minutes, or until salmon is almost cooked through. Flip the salmon again and brush the other side with the glaze. Cook an additional 1 or 2 more minutes. (Don't cook too long or the glaze will burn.)
— Valerie Phillips
Homemade Honey Ice Cream
1 pint heavy cream (2 cups)
1 cup half-and-half or whole milk
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Mix together cream, half-and-half, and honey on very low heat until honey melts. Stir.
Turn off the heat when honey is melted and add vanilla. Taste and add more honey if desired. Place in the refrigerator to cool
Pour mixture in an ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions.
California Honey Barbecue Sauce
Makes: 21/2 cups
1 cup honey
1 cup water
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 cup chopped onion
1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Combine honey with remaining ingredients. Simmer until sauce thickens, about 40 minutes.
— National Honey Board
Classic Honey Mustard
- A father's bucket list: 10 things I want to...
- 5 underrated Disney movies
- Wyoming ranked third in US in percentage of...
- Motherhood Matters: When there is nothing...
- Lexi Hansen forgives driver who hit her (+video)
- The Clean Cut: Time-lapse video captures...
- What accounts for the cinematic generation gap?
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney, Jimmy Fallon...
- What makes marriage hard? These 5... 18
- 5 underrated Disney movies 17
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney, Jimmy... 9
- Student loan recipients go on repayment... 4
- Teens may be even more distracted... 4
- What accounts for the cinematic... 3
- A father's bucket list: 10 things I... 3
- Wyoming ranked third in US in... 2