Our Take: In her article, Maggie Gallagher recounts the struggle and pressure of her friend, David Blankenhorn, to stand up for traditional marriage.
"Weve been fighting about gay marriage for what, 15-20 years now. Is there any evidence that fighting gay marriage is contributing to a greater appreciation among the broad society of the marital institution? Is there any evidence that the re-institutionalization of marriage is happening as a result of opposing gay marriage? And the best answer I can give to that is 'no.'" David Blankenhorn.
With that quote Mark Oppenheimer, the Beliefs columnist of the New York Times, begins his transcript of a new documentary, David Blankenhorn and the Battle Over Same-Sex Marriage, which was released on Friday along with an op-ed by Blankenhorn in the New York Times entitled How My View on Gay Marriage Changed.
Maybe youve never heard of David Blankenhorn. But hes a very significant figure in the larger struggle over our fraying marriage culture.
The truth about something as important as marriage cannot be the price we pay to live with each other. The challenge of our time is to find new ways to combine truth and love. Giving up marriage is too high a price to pay. And it is not the last good we will be asked to surrender, unless we find the courage to stand.
Read more about Bigotry, David Blankenhorn, and the Future of Marriage on thepublicdiscourse.com.
- Stuart Reid: Translations of religious...
- The complicated political views of...
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have voted for
- In our opinion: Airport expansion reflects...
- In our opinion: Use market forces and not...
- In our opinion: History will remember our...
- Dan Liljenquist: Religious liberty and the...
- Letter: Breeding hate
- In our opinion: U.S. Supreme Court... 104
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have... 63
- My view: Amnesty towards border... 56
- Stuart Reid: Translations of religious... 53
- In our opinion: History will remember... 46
- Letter: Society values 45
- Dan Liljenquist: Religious liberty and... 43
- Letter: Breeding hate 40