Our take: Biker Sundays are a growing trend as churches try to reach out to different people from all experiences and walks of life. Grove City United Methodist Church's most recent biker service was packed as people pressed in to hear speaker Laura Klock, a high speed bike rider. According to the Christian Motorcyclists Association, people of faith who like the motorcycle culture often struggle to fit in to traditional or mainstream church cultures and, to address that issue, churches are reach out to find common ground in order to share the gospel.
The rows of motorcycles in the parking lot were the first indication that the morning church service wouldnt be offering your typical Sunday fare. The second was the rock music spilling out the front doors.
It was Biker Sunday at Grove City United Methodist Church, where babies in strollers were among tattooed men, and people in a packed auditorium eagerly waited for Laura Klock, one of motorcyclings fastest riders, to take the stage.
The recent service is one of dozens of central Ohio events linking God and motorcyclists, which have grown in number, size and scope in the past several years.
Along with biker Sundays, churches offer motorcycle blessings each spring, biker clubs meet for weekly Bible study, and believers pass along pocket-sized fliers about Jesus the biker. Theres even a church: Leave a Mark, named after a burn-out mark that its pastor made about 10 years ago in a bar whose owner had died in a motorcycle crash.
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- 10 things to do with an LDS account
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say...
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the 'ultimate...
- What's new: 'Women and the Priesthood' by...
- Court: Mormon church, members not liable in...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered... 62
- Croatians vote against same-sex marriage 50
- Cardinal Dolan says Catholic church... 38
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 34
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 30
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged... 28
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- Ask Angela: Woman shares update on... 20