Jay Evensen: On second thought: Civility, Fast and Furious, and more
A recent survey found that two-thirds of Americans think the nation has a major civility problem. The other third is so tired of hearing about it they want to hit someone.
The Fast and Furious program did its job. Republicans in the House got furious pretty fast.
Republicans voted to hold Attorney General Eric Holder in contempt. They need a vote for that? I thought Republicans and Democrats naturally held each other in contempt.
Fast and Furious involved the deliberate sale of firearms to known criminals so law enforcement could track them as they made their way into Mexico to leaders of drug cartels. I thought Republicans were all for looser gun-control laws.
This program actual began under the George W. Bush administration as Operation Wide Receiver. Back then it wasn't quite as furious and, as far as Democrats are concerned, too fast.
Bombarded by bad publicity, Attorney General Eric Holder did the only thing he could last week to divert attention — he cracked down on FLDS polygamists again.
The Justice Department is suing the Arizona-Utah border towns of Hilldale and Colorado City for allegedly discriminating against people not of the FLDS Church. Those are two towns apparently not worried about growth or economic development.
Worst job ever — director of tourism for Hilldale and Colorado City.
The Days of '47 organizers said last week they won't allow candy to be thrown from the parade. This is a sign of how soft we've gotten. I'll bet the pioneers used to throw watermelon from their floats.
Just when you thought it was safe to take your money outside again, along comes Moody's and downgrades all the banks.
Moody's — what an appropriate name considering how it made Wall Street feel last week.
Jay Evensen is the associate editor of the Deseret News editorial page. Follow him on Twitter @jayevensen.
- Disputes over specialized license plates...
- My view: Chaffetz named ‘politician of...
- Mike Lee: Change is coming to Washington
- Susan Roylance: Definition of the family put...
- Jay Evensen: Should Utah raise its gas tax?...
- Jay Evensen: Cuba not likely to change...
- My view: Torture, morality and the laws of war
- Letter: Bring the prison here
- Charles Krauthammer: Democrats use... 78
- In our opinion: Police training should... 45
- Mike Lee: Change is coming to Washington 43
- In our opinion: Wood burning ban... 37
- Robert Bennett: More political... 36
- Letter: Patriots or serfs? 33
- Paul Mero: Reasonable solution to... 30
- Susan Roylance: Definition of the... 30