Local golf: Mason Casper sets record, wins Art City Amateur
SPRINGVILLE — Mason Casper fired his second round of 7-under 64 to set the tournament record in winning the 44th Annual Art City Amateur at Hobble Creek on Sunday.
The Utah Valley University star and grandson of Hall of Famer Billy Casper won by eight strokes over BYU's Mike Jurca, who finished 70-66 — 136 for a 6-under par. Casper was the low amateur at the Provo Open last week and runnerup to Jurca at the Fox Hollow Amateur. "I knew at the turn I had this," said Casper, who almost aced the par-3 No. 14 and easily could have taken it lower when he missed a pair of birdies inside seven feet.
"He gave us no chance at all today," said Jeffery Jolley, who played in the group with Casper. "He was in a zone all by himself today." Casper's 44-44 — 128 broke the tournament record set by Jeff Green at 131 and he became the first Springville native to win the tournament since Ron Hitchcock in 1989.
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- BYU football enemy camp: 5 questions with a...
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 67
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 35
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28