Local golf: Mason Casper sets record, wins Art City Amateur
SPRINGVILLE — Mason Casper fired his second round of 7-under 64 to set the tournament record in winning the 44th Annual Art City Amateur at Hobble Creek on Sunday.
The Utah Valley University star and grandson of Hall of Famer Billy Casper won by eight strokes over BYU's Mike Jurca, who finished 70-66 — 136 for a 6-under par. Casper was the low amateur at the Provo Open last week and runnerup to Jurca at the Fox Hollow Amateur. "I knew at the turn I had this," said Casper, who almost aced the par-3 No. 14 and easily could have taken it lower when he missed a pair of birdies inside seven feet.
"He gave us no chance at all today," said Jeffery Jolley, who played in the group with Casper. "He was in a zone all by himself today." Casper's 44-44 — 128 broke the tournament record set by Jeff Green at 131 and he became the first Springville native to win the tournament since Ron Hitchcock in 1989.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Ute recruit Tyler Huntley posting huge...
- Felt's Facts: Breaking down the Utah high...
- Underrated East Carolina will test BYU's defense
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 53
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 40
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 19