Poll: Sen. Orrin Hatch maintains lead over Dan Liljenquist in GOP primary
U.S. senator maintains GOP support
Liljenquist said his campaign staff and volunteers remain motivated and excited.
"Are we confident we're going to win? You know, we'll see. But we're certainly working hard to do so," the former state senator from Bountiful said. "Those are pretty tall odds, but we've really had a great time."
The winner of Tuesday's GOP Senate primary will face Democrat Scott Howell, also a former state senator.
The poll found that in a general election race against Hatch, Howell would win 29 percent support to 63 percent for Hatch. Howell would do better against Liljenquist in November, with 34 percent to 48 percent for Liljenquist, according to the poll.
"I'm really thrilled to see those numbers," Howell said, noting he opened his campaign office just two weeks ago and is already hearing from national groups interested in offering support. "It really shows momentum and that we're starting to pick up steam."
Hansen said Hatch won't slow down, even with a primary election victory.
"The primary is only the midway point," Hansen said. "We take the general election just as serious as we take everything else and we will work just as hard to make sure come November, Orrin Hatch is still the U.S. senator from Utah."
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: dnewspolitics
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental shooting...
- Salt Lake City Marathon comes with many...
- Tabernacle Choir performs Handel's 'Messiah'...
- Crowds to flock to Salt Lake City this weekend
- Man admits raping, killing young Ogden girl...
- Western states to feds: Turn over public lands
- Police make arrest in death of 59-year-old...
- Top 10 spring activities for Utah families
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 107
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 89
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 77
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 27
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed;... 24
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch 23