The Press Democrat, Beth Schlanker, Associated Press
PETALUMA, Calif. — A Chinese crested's short snout, beady eyes and white whiskers earned it the title of World's Ugliest Dog at the annual contest in Northern California on Friday.
Competing for fame, $1,000 and a year's worth of dog cookies, Mugly won the honor by beating out 28 other ugly dogs from around the world.
The 8-year-old rescue dog from the United Kingdom will also be invited for a photo shoot and will receive a VIP stay at the local Sheraton.
"I couldn't speak when they announced Mugly's name," said Bev Nicholson, the dog's owner. "I didn't know which way to look. I was shaking as much as the dog."
It's not the first time Mugly has been recognized for his unattractiveness. Nicholson said he was named Britain's ugliest dog in 2005.
The contest at the Marin-Sonoma Fairgrounds gets worldwide attention, with reporters and camera crews from around the world traveling to Petaluma, about 40 miles north of San Francisco.
Organizers say the competing dogs are judged for what they term their "natural ugliness in both pedigree and mutt classes."
Mugly's victory was the latest for a Chinese crested. Last year's winner, Yoda, was a Chinese crested and Chihuahua mix.
- 19 little-known facts about the Mission:...
- 31 things you might not know about the Harry...
- 13 baby names that are making a comeback
- The one thing you may be giving your children...
- Job insecurity is the new normal. Here's how...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- What went right: How one Orem family turned...
- Abortion supporters get help from federal...
- Religious groups react to Boy... 79
- Trump's call for mass deportations runs... 18
- Obama administration wants to give... 15
- Abortion supporters get help from... 15
- The lie behind the idea that ‘sex... 15
- Obama to extend college Pell grants to... 12
- Sanders rallies supporters in... 11
- Clinton charity donors surge amid... 11