The Press Democrat, Beth Schlanker, Associated Press
PETALUMA, Calif. — A Chinese crested's short snout, beady eyes and white whiskers earned it the title of World's Ugliest Dog at the annual contest in Northern California on Friday.
Competing for fame, $1,000 and a year's worth of dog cookies, Mugly won the honor by beating out 28 other ugly dogs from around the world.
The 8-year-old rescue dog from the United Kingdom will also be invited for a photo shoot and will receive a VIP stay at the local Sheraton.
"I couldn't speak when they announced Mugly's name," said Bev Nicholson, the dog's owner. "I didn't know which way to look. I was shaking as much as the dog."
It's not the first time Mugly has been recognized for his unattractiveness. Nicholson said he was named Britain's ugliest dog in 2005.
The contest at the Marin-Sonoma Fairgrounds gets worldwide attention, with reporters and camera crews from around the world traveling to Petaluma, about 40 miles north of San Francisco.
Organizers say the competing dogs are judged for what they term their "natural ugliness in both pedigree and mutt classes."
Mugly's victory was the latest for a Chinese crested. Last year's winner, Yoda, was a Chinese crested and Chihuahua mix.
- Utah humanitarian aid worker returns from...
- Maine in standoff with nurse over Ebola...
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold line on...
- Pope Francis: The devil is real and...
- Israeli leader lashes back at harsh US criticism
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution is not...
- New dynasty: Giants capture 3rd title in 5 years
- #Technologyandstuff: Chevy makes the best of...
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution ... 63
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold... 41
- Pastor who performed gay marriage keeps... 30
- Utah among lowest in nation in... 21
- Obama on Ebola fight: US can't seal... 19
- Churches proceed carefully when... 16
- George P. Bush says dad Jeb Bush is... 15
- Israeli leader lashes back at harsh US... 13