Laura Seitz, Laura Seitz, Deseret News
After listening to the recent debate between Sen. Hatch and Dan Liljenquist, I am compelled to express my thoughts. As a State Delegate, I've listened to Hatch numerous times and now conclude that his campaign is about three issues: finance chairman, Hill Air Force Base — or AFB — and experience.
Our country's problems are deeper than these. First, Hatch assumes that Republicans will take Senate control and he will, therefore, receive the position he so much covets — finance chairman. I see that as a 50/50 chance at best. Does he deserve the chair with a government that has strangled us in debt while he has been on the committee?
Second, Hill AFB will take care of itself, not because of any one man, but because of the dedicated, loyal Americans who work there to make it the top Air Force base in the country, including others from Utah's delegation. Third, what Hatch calls experience, the general population calls the "seniority system"; I call it the "senility system" and see it as what leads to Washington corruption.
Liljenquist would bring his successful business and solid government experience to the Senate, experience a 36-year career politician cannot claim. Hatch didn't even bother to respond to my questions as a state delegate. We need a refreshing voice from Utah, Liljenquist, not just someone with the same old pat answers of "I" and "me."
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have voted for
- In our opinion: Airport expansion reflects...
- Stuart Reid: Translations of religious...
- The complicated political views of...
- 3 modern Utah heroes who exemplify pioneer...
- In our opinion: History will remember our...
- Dan Liljenquist: Religious liberty and the...
- Letter: Breeding hate
- In our opinion: U.S. Supreme Court... 104
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have... 59
- Letter: Gun control 57
- My view: Amnesty towards border... 56
- Stuart Reid: Translations of religious... 51
- In our opinion: History will remember... 46
- Letter: Society values 45
- Dan Liljenquist: Religious liberty and... 40