Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Editor's note: As of 5 p.m. Friday, the information that follows was verified accurate. Over the natural course of the fire coverage, some information may change.
Related blog: Gunfire started this one, could be fireworks next time
A fire caused by target shooters started near Saratoga Springs landfill around noon Thursday. The Dump Fire has spread over Eagle Mountain, threatening homes and facilities. Evacuations have been issued for Saratoga Springs and Eagle Mountain residents as the fire closes within 1/2 mile of homes, burning 4,000 acres and emitting dangerous smoke plumes. Thousands of residents have been evacuated from their homes, and fire officials are estimating the fire containment is less than 20%. No homes have burned at this point.
Because of the high fire danger, residents in all evacuated areas will not be able to return to their homes tonight.
Updates will be posted as they become available.
Eagle Mountain Brief
Eagle Mountain evacuation areas: Mayor Heather Jackson says 300+ homes have been evacuated in Eagle Mountain. Mandatory evacuations have been ordered for all residents from Kiowa Valley subdivision east to Redwood Road, North to Pony Express. Everyone south of Pony Express pkwy, east of Smith Ranch Rd, all the way east to Redwood Road is being evacuated. Voluntary evacuations at this point include Fremont Springs, Eagle Top, Three's Crossings, and Silver Lake.
Here is a list of affected subivisions for the evacuation at this point: Kiowa Valley, Eagle Top, Fremont Springs, Three's Crossing.
Residents in SilverLake or City Center do not need to evacuate at this point.
City Hall is closed.
Evacuation Rendezvous Points: Vista Heights Middle School, 484 W. Pony Express & LDS church at 3332 E. Windhover, by Nolan Park are NO LONGER being used as evac centers. All residents are instructed to evacuate to Westlake High, 99 N. Thunder Blvd. The Red Cross has been notified and has a shelter there.
EOC is located at City Hall, incident command is at Neptune Park in Saratoga Springs. Check with Cami from BLM 385-226-6540. (Evacuation center for the #dumpfire is Westlake high school in Saratoga Springs not Eagle Mountain)
Saratoga Springs Brief
Saratoga Springs Evacuation Areas: Mayor Heather Jackson says 2,000+ homes have been evacuated in Saratoga Springs. The evacuation area now includes all of the Stillwater subdivision and continues north to the Church farm. This includes the Jacobs Ranch subdivision, north of Grandview Boulevard, South of the Church farm, and West of Redwood Road. All neighborhoods west of Redwood Rd and south of Stillwater should be prepared for an evacuation should it become necessary.
- Celebrate summer fun with a photographic look...
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding' with...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed...
- Video of school bus driver shows 'bizarre'...
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court...
- Pilot sentenced for groping teenage girl on...
- Settlement in dog shooting case reached, then...
- Republican, Democratic political insiders say...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed... 62
- Republican, Democratic political... 47
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 26
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding'... 26
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 21
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 19