San Diego church starts HEALING ministry to support abuse victims
Our take: Jessica Yaffa's ex-husband is serving time in prison for domestic abuse during their marriage. Following her ordeal, Yaffa found Christ and started HEALING, a group that provides support to men, women and children who experience various forms of domestic violence. HEALING's services were unique to the San Diego area which had no other faith-based ministry options for people looking for healing and support. Since it began several years ago, HEALING has helped over 4,000 people turn their pain into something positive.
For domestic violence and rape victim Jessica Yaffa, the adage that God uses pain for good is very much a reality. HEALING, the ministry support group that she leads, has touched the lives of more than 4,000 women, men and children in less than five years.
Yaffa, who was abused by an ex-husband who is now serving a 29-year prison sentence for multiple charges stemming from the violence, started HEALING (Honoring, Empowering, and Loving Individuals Needing Guidance) at Rock Church in San Diego shortly after becoming a Christian.
This month, Yaffa is being recognized as a "Rock Hero" by her church led by Pastor Miles McPherson, a strong advocate for community service and volunteerism.
"It was when I came to know Christ that I very quickly began to recognize through God's whispers that he intended this set of very tragic circumstances to be used for good," she told The Christian Post. "He would allow me the opportunity to be used as a vessel so that I was able to reach other women and children and families that were going through this and feeling very alone as I once did so that they would no longer have to feel alone."
Read more about San Diego church helps domestic violence victims heal on The Christian Post.
- Two apostles visit Northern South America,...
- Defending the Faith: Columbus among the Nephites
- Young performing LDS missionary shares...
- New DVD tells story of David Archuleta's...
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU commercial
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in theaters...
- Mormon neighbors help Catholic nuns with...
- No more excuses: Mormon dad designs home...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 48
- Defending the Faith: Columbus among the... 31
- New Harmony: Viewing the penmanship of... 8
- New DVD tells story of David... 8
- New Utah rabbi hopes to 'perfect the... 6
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- 5 unusual places of worship 5
- 10 religious leaders you may not know... 5