OMAHA, Neb. — Arizona coach Andy Lopez couldn't imagine taking a hotter team to the College World Series finals.
That's where the Wildcats are heading after their 10-3 victory over Florida State on Thursday. They'll go into the best-of-three championship round Sunday coming off nine straight wins and 16 in their last 18 games.
"I'm not sure we're invincible. In fact, I'm quite confident we're not," Lopez said. "We're playing good baseball. But, honestly, we've done that for more than a weekend or so."
Florida State gave the Wildcats lots of help, committing three of their four errors in Arizona's six-run first inning.
Freshman starter Brandon Leibrandt was pulled after he recorded just one out for the Seminoles, who used eight pitchers to tie a CWS record for a nine-inning game.
Robert Refsnyder and Bobby Brown homered in a span of three at-bats in the fourth as the Wildcats built their lead to 10-1.
"About the easiest way to sum it up is say we got taken to the woodshed today," FSU coach Mike Martin said.
Kurt Heyer (13-2) worked 71?3 innings while taking the national lead for wins as the Wildcats (46-17) won Bracket 1.
Arizona will be playing for its fourth national championship and first since 1986 after losing in regionals the past two years. The Wildcats did not qualify for the NCAA tournament in 2009.
SOUTH CAROLINA 4, KENT ST. 1: Michael Roth pitched a two-hitter and two-time defending national champion South Carolina eliminated Kent State from the CWS.
The game had been postponed by rain Wednesday.
Grayson Greiner and Chase Vergason hit consecutive RBI singles in the second inning to erase Kent State's 1-0 lead. LB Dantzler homered in the third against Tyler Skulina (11-3).
Kent State (47-20) finished 1-2 in its first CWS appearance.
Roth (9-1) struck out eight and walked none.
SOUTH CAROLINA 2, ARKANSAS 0: Freshman Jordan Montgomery and Matt Price combined on a three-hitter, lifting South Carolina.
South Carolina and Arkansas will play again tonight to decide which team goes to the best-of-three finals.
South Carolina is the third team in the 63-year history of the CWS to win two full games in the same day.
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz remain in...
- BYU basketball: Dave Rose hoping Tyler Haws'...
- Results from Tuesday's high school softball,...
- 4 reasons why you need to paraglide at Point...
- High school boys soccer: Lehi edges...
- Utah high school updated tournament pairings...
- The offseason status of NFL players with Utah...
- BYU football: Fan-developed software gives...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 56
- BYU basketball: Dave Rose hoping Tyler... 20
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who... 19
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz... 19
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood... 15
- Utah State football: New coach Matt... 11
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same... 10
- BYU football: Fan-developed software... 8