Our nation is too dependent on foreign oil. The millions of dollars that America is spending on foreign oil purchases could very well be directed to opening up more drilling and natural resource development in the U.S.
Specifically, Utah has large coal reserves that are tied up in national parks. Utah has tar sands and oil shale that could be mined and developed. Utah has uranium for nuclear energy.
If we could open up drilling and mining, it would create more jobs and reduce our need for foreign oil. We need to use the natural resources we have in America and decrease our dependence on foreign oil. Liberty is everyone's best freedom. If the president has the power to open or close drilling, so should the people. If the people are going to be happy and this nation is going to remain peaceful, then the government needs to stop relying on foreign oil and develop the opportunities we have here.
- In our opinion: Scouting success will come...
- My view: Why moderates lost the caucus vote
- Lois M. Collins: Kids' summer 'bucket list'...
- Letters: No welfare, ever
- Top scandals and controversies of each United...
- In our opinion: Big screen exploitation of...
- Tolerance and the same-sex marriage debate
- Letters: Government, health care
- Letters: No welfare, ever 66
- Letter: The real death panel:... 30
- My view: Why moderates lost the caucus... 30
- Tolerance and the same-sex marriage debate 26
- In our opinion: Big screen exploitation... 25
- Matthew Sanders: Imploding trust in... 20
- Charles Krauthammer: Americans deserve... 17
- Michael Gerson: As government's... 15