Paralyzed teen surfer walks across stage to get high school diploma
Our take: Patrick Ivison has been paralyzed from the neck down since he was 14 months old, but that didn't stop him from walking across the stage of his high school to receive his diploma, and it did not stop him from landing a spot on his school's surf team. Patrick's story is now being featured on the ConGRADulations! Class of 2012 Music and Media Grad Gift along with inspirational students from other states, but he has made sure to give God the credit for all he has overcome.
Patrick Ivison has been a quadrapalic since he was 14 months old. But he has the chance to walk again.
Scripps Ranch High School graduate Patrick Ivisons dream came Tuesday night in the electric atmosphere at The Viejas Arena, San Diego State University, as this young man who was paralyzed from the neck down at age 14 months was able walk across the stage, receive his diploma, and celebrate with his fellow classmates.
Ivisons story of overcoming his injuries has amazed and inspired not only his classmates, but a watching nation. As a quadriplegic he has become a member of his high school surf team, a leader at his school and has been accepted to the University Of Southern California Film School.
"Patrick has a truly courageous faith! He has taken a tragedy in his life and used it to encourage, challenge and motivate others to grow personally and spiritually," says Jim Marian, Ivisons youth pastor at Rancho Bernardo Community Presbyterian Church in San Diego. His smile is contagious, his attitude is infectious, and his determination is an example to us all.
- Returning LDS missionary, father battling...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone and...
- LDS Church releases Easter video, campaign
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A look back...
- Lexi Hansen forgives driver who hit her (+video)
- Why I don’t call myself a ‘Mormon...
- 18 must-see attractions on and around Temple...
- 'Amazed by Grace' by Sheri Dew explores...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone... 148
- Why I don’t call myself a... 91
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A... 61
- What Mormons should know about NBC's... 51
- Kara Tippetts, Christian who blogged... 26
- Why Ted Cruz launched his presidential... 17
- Heaven can wait, Christian bookstore... 17
- Millennials are the ‘don’t... 11