Gerald Herbert, Associated Press
NEW ORLEANS — Vice President Joe Biden told a gathering of black journalists Wednesday that Republican presidential challenger Mitt Romney's economic platform shows he is out of touch with the nation's middle-class.
Biden alleged that Romney and his allies want to grow the nation's economy "from the top down" by deregulating Wall Street and cutting taxes for the wealthy. He called Romney "an honorable man" with a "beautiful family" but claimed the former venture capitalist doesn't understand what's happening to "ordinary Americans."
"These guys didn't come from my neighborhood. I mean it," Biden said during his speech Wednesday at the National Association of Black Journalists' annual convention in New Orleans.
The fall election offers voters a stark contrast between the Democratic incumbent and a "new Republican party" led by Romney, Biden said.
"Because this ain't your father's Republican party," he said. "I believe their social policy is a throwback to the '50s. I believe their foreign policy is a relic of the Cold War. And I believe their economic policy is little more than a double-down on the failed policies of the previous administration."
Biden also touted the Obama administration's record on job growth, saying they rescued the auto industry while Romney "preferred to let Detroit go bankrupt."
"He said, though, the market would take care of it, somehow they'd step in. I didn't see anybody stepping in to rescue the market, including Bain Capital," Biden said, referring to the firm Romney once led.
Biden said he and the president believe the economy cannot be truly health until the "profound erosion" of middle-class jobs and income is reversed.
"When the middle class does well, the poor have a shot. There's a little bit of hope, and the wealthy do very well," he said.
- 31 things you might not know about the Harry...
- 13 baby names that are making a comeback
- Alleged sexual abuser on the run for 17 years...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- Back to Beijing for 2nd Olympics in 14 years
- The one thing you may be giving your children...
- Man describes find that could solve MH370...
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 109
- Religious groups react to Boy... 79
- Boy Scout board approves end to blanket... 71
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy... 31
- Oklahoma Supreme Court: Ten... 27
- Obama: Republican criticism of Iran... 25
- Covered California: Cost of health care... 18
- Trump's call for mass deportations runs... 16