The contract includes a $50,000 bonus if Ohio State wins its Big Ten division title, and an additional $100,000 if it wins the league championship. Meyer will get $150,000 for reaching a BCS bowl — and, since the Buckeyes are banned this season, he can get that amount by having Ohio State finish in the top 10 of the BCS final rankings.
Meyer gets $250,000 for reaching a national championship game. He gets that amount this season if Ohio State finishes in the top two in the BCS rankings.
Meyer also gets bonuses if his players do well academically — $50,000 if the team has a cumulative 3.0 grade-point average; $100,000 for a 3.3 average; $150,000 for a 3.5 average. The team's grade-point average last school year was roughly 2.8.
"After watching how Urban runs things, we're optimistic that the team at some point is going to get a 3.0," Smith said.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34