Local government offices, public libraries and historical societies are good places to find documents that detail property ownership, as well as fire insurance maps, property tax records, Census records, city directories (precursors to phone books), old newspapers and historic photographs. Some of these documents are available online or in databases. But Days, of Santa Barbara, resists the quick, digital fix.
"For something that's really as crucial as an early building permit or an early map, I happen to just love the original documents," said Days, noting that there can be crucial details on them such as color codes and notes.
The original building permit, if it still exists, can be found at municipal government offices. Information such as construction dates, square footage, building materials, type of roof and the architect's name may be on it.
Another way to date your home is to track ownership of the property back to when it was first built. This practice is called a "chain of title" search and often can be done at a county records' office.
Online, good sources include:
- The National Trust for Historic Preservation. How to research your home's history, among other information, at http://www.preservationnation.org/resources/faq/information-sheets/historic-home-full.html
- The New York Public Library's guide to researching the history of New York City homes, written by Philip Sutton: http://www.nypl.org/blog/2011/10/14/guide-researching-your-homes-history. Many of his suggestions apply anywhere.
- The Minnesota Historical Society's www.Placeography.org collects information about buildings and neighborhoods around the country and shares it.
- Texas affirmative action plan survives...
- Paris labor protest takes place without incident
- Obama immigration plan blocked by 4-4 tie at...
- How do you teach human interaction to a...
- US new-home sales tumbled in May after a...
- Democrats end 25-hour plus protest to demand...
- Big accreditor of for-profit colleges could...
- Markets, bettors put money on Britons...
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- In need of help, Trump finds few... 39
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 34
- Democrats end 25-hour plus protest to... 30
- Big ruling for abortion rights in... 29
- The pro-life plan that could reverse... 29
- Trump, in Scotland, links Brexit vote... 26
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26