COLORADO SPRINGS — Four Colorado Springs pitchers combined to throw a two-hitter, as the Sky Sox rolled to an 8-2 win over the Salt Lake Bees on Tuesday night.
Drew Pomeranz, Mike Ekstrom and Zach Putnam held the Bees hitless until a bloop RBI single to right field by Luis Jimenez off of Putnam with one out in the ninth inning. Hank Conger followed with a run-scoring single that extended his hitting streak to 18 games. Dustin Molleken came in and got Efren Navarro to ground into a game-ending double play.
Matt Shoemaker (5-7) took the loss, as he went just 41?3 innings and allowed seven runs on 12 hits with five strikeouts, two walks and two wild pitches.
Colorado Springs pounded out 17 hits, including seven doubles, as the Sky Sox handed the Bees their season-high-equaling seventh consecutive loss.
LANGERHANS SENT TO SALT LAKE: The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim announced that outfielder Ryan Langerhans would begin a rehab assignment with Triple-A Salt Lake on Tuesday against Colorado Springs. In other roster moves, the Angels activated catcher Bobby Wilson from the disabled list, recalled infielder Andrew Romine from Salt Lake and optioned catcher Hank Conger to Salt Lake.
Langerhans, 32, was placed on the DL on May 21 with a separated right shoulder. In 34 games for the Bees in 2012, he hit .274 with seven doubles, five home runs, 20 RBIs and four stolen bases. Wilson, 29, was placed on the 7-day disabled list after suffering a concussion from a foul tip to his catcher's mask on June 4. Romine, 26, has appeared in 56 games for the Bees in 2012, hitting .281 with six doubles, two triples, three home runs, 23 RBIs and a team-high 17 stolen bases. Conger, 24, has appeared in five games for the Angels in 2012, hitting .231 with one RBI. In 17 games for the Bees this season, he hit .338 with two home runs and 11 RBIs.
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 93
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 45
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33