BYU football program losing Shirley Johnson, 'anchor' of its office
Johnson recalls after the 1980 "Miracle Bowl" victory, "we got so many phone calls and letters with people's experiences watching that game. One guy hurt his head jumping on his bed and he hit the ceiling."
Some of the mail and phone calls weren't pleasant.
"When we didn't do well, we used to get nasty letters and phone calls," she said. "One lady up on campus called and made me cry after we lost to UTEP (in 1985). Now they just vent their frustrations on the Internet. That has really helped."
Of course, Johnson treasures her relationship with Edwards and his wife, Patti. When LaVell and Patti were serving an LDS mission in New York, she visited them. Sometimes she uses their condo in St. George.
"He's family. When we talk, it's like he's talking to his daughter. We've been so close," she said. "He still brings in his talks for me to type. I told him he's going to have to call ahead."
As Johnson steps into retirement, Doman said she will always be part of BYU football.
"Shirley is such a strong link to the tradition of this place and to our alumni and former coaches, families and parents. She has such a wealth of knowledge and background of this place," he said.
"She's truly devoted. She's as dedicated and loyal to BYU football as anybody in the world. She deserves as much recognition as any coach that's been here or any player that's been here. She's done phenomenal. We love her and appreciate her. We hope that she finds great joy in her retirement. We hope she knows that she's forever a member of our football program."
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- High school football: Hunter Wolverines 2015...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 113
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 22
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 21