FORT WORTH, Texas — A former Transportation Security Administration baggage inspector at Dallas/Fort Worth Airport has pleaded guilty to stealing Apple iPads from travelers’ luggage over eight months.
Clayton Keith Dovel, 36, of Bedford, Texas, was sentenced by state District Judge Sharen Wilson to three years’ deferred-adjudication probation, which means that he will not have a conviction on his record if he completes the probation without incident.
Dovel paid restitution of $4,746, split among six victims whose iPads were stolen as they traveled through DFW Airport. The restitution was paid before the guilty plea as part of a deal with prosecutors.
“He used his position and people trusted him, thinking their property was going to be there when they arrived at their destination,” said Tarrant County Assistant District Attorney Steven Gebhardt.
Defense attorney Greg Westfall said he believes that the sentence is fair.
“He paid restitution upfront,” Westfall said. “I think it was a very appropriate resolution for this case.”
The victims included three people from North Texas and travelers from Oregon, Utah and Norway.
Investigators recovered one of the stolen iPads from among Dovel’s possessions at Terminal E when he was arrested Feb. 1.
©2012 Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Visit the Fort Worth Star-Telegram at www.star-telegram.com. Distributed by MCT Information Services
- A decade after welcoming wind, states reconsider
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Charging documents show Phelps DUI tied to...
- NFL says Husain Abdullah should not have been...
- US Ebola case stokes concerns for Liberians...
- Luck, instinct determined fates of volcano...
- Report: Obama rode elevator with armed man...
- Officials confirm first Ebola case diagnosed...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 39
- Republicans rallying behind religious... 32
- Obama: US 'underestimated' Islamic... 24
- New mom Chelsea Clinton celebrates baby... 14
- Police: Fired worker beheaded Oklahoma... 13
- Marijuana could deliver more than $800... 13
- Tens of thousands of immigrant families... 11
- Obama seeks traction on economy amid... 11