FORT WORTH, Texas — A former Transportation Security Administration baggage inspector at Dallas/Fort Worth Airport has pleaded guilty to stealing Apple iPads from travelers’ luggage over eight months.
Clayton Keith Dovel, 36, of Bedford, Texas, was sentenced by state District Judge Sharen Wilson to three years’ deferred-adjudication probation, which means that he will not have a conviction on his record if he completes the probation without incident.
Dovel paid restitution of $4,746, split among six victims whose iPads were stolen as they traveled through DFW Airport. The restitution was paid before the guilty plea as part of a deal with prosecutors.
“He used his position and people trusted him, thinking their property was going to be there when they arrived at their destination,” said Tarrant County Assistant District Attorney Steven Gebhardt.
Defense attorney Greg Westfall said he believes that the sentence is fair.
“He paid restitution upfront,” Westfall said. “I think it was a very appropriate resolution for this case.”
The victims included three people from North Texas and travelers from Oregon, Utah and Norway.
Investigators recovered one of the stolen iPads from among Dovel’s possessions at Terminal E when he was arrested Feb. 1.
©2012 Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Visit the Fort Worth Star-Telegram at www.star-telegram.com. Distributed by MCT Information Services
- Pistorius shown in TV interview ahead of...
- Obama names Stonewall national monument; 1st...
- Sanders says he'll vote for Clinton, but no...
- Items owned by gangster 'Whitey' Bulger to be...
- Motivational speaker Robbins' coal walk burns...
- Lucas abandons plan to build museum in...
- World doping watchdog shuts down Rio Olympic...
- Officials: No evidence Orlando gunman was gay
- House Republicans' report faults Obama... 49
- In need of help, Trump finds few... 39
- Big ruling for abortion rights in... 36
- The pro-life plan that could reverse... 36
- Did Trump really just become a... 36
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26