FORT WORTH, Texas — A former Transportation Security Administration baggage inspector at Dallas/Fort Worth Airport has pleaded guilty to stealing Apple iPads from travelers’ luggage over eight months.
Clayton Keith Dovel, 36, of Bedford, Texas, was sentenced by state District Judge Sharen Wilson to three years’ deferred-adjudication probation, which means that he will not have a conviction on his record if he completes the probation without incident.
Dovel paid restitution of $4,746, split among six victims whose iPads were stolen as they traveled through DFW Airport. The restitution was paid before the guilty plea as part of a deal with prosecutors.
“He used his position and people trusted him, thinking their property was going to be there when they arrived at their destination,” said Tarrant County Assistant District Attorney Steven Gebhardt.
Defense attorney Greg Westfall said he believes that the sentence is fair.
“He paid restitution upfront,” Westfall said. “I think it was a very appropriate resolution for this case.”
The victims included three people from North Texas and travelers from Oregon, Utah and Norway.
Investigators recovered one of the stolen iPads from among Dovel’s possessions at Terminal E when he was arrested Feb. 1.
©2012 Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Visit the Fort Worth Star-Telegram at www.star-telegram.com. Distributed by MCT Information Services
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- NTSB: Plane that crashed in Arizona killing...
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias...
- Witnesses at Utah trial: No security-camera...
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit against Obama
- Ginsburg: High court won't 'duck' gay marriage
- Probe exposes flaws behind HealthCare.gov...
- The rise of social entrepreneurship: How...
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 52
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the... 45
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit... 35
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias... 28
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should... 27
- GOP-led House approves lawsuit against... 14
- House leaders abandon border bill 14
- Democrats have million-dollar day on... 13