FORT WORTH, Texas — A former Transportation Security Administration baggage inspector at Dallas/Fort Worth Airport has pleaded guilty to stealing Apple iPads from travelers’ luggage over eight months.
Clayton Keith Dovel, 36, of Bedford, Texas, was sentenced by state District Judge Sharen Wilson to three years’ deferred-adjudication probation, which means that he will not have a conviction on his record if he completes the probation without incident.
Dovel paid restitution of $4,746, split among six victims whose iPads were stolen as they traveled through DFW Airport. The restitution was paid before the guilty plea as part of a deal with prosecutors.
“He used his position and people trusted him, thinking their property was going to be there when they arrived at their destination,” said Tarrant County Assistant District Attorney Steven Gebhardt.
Defense attorney Greg Westfall said he believes that the sentence is fair.
“He paid restitution upfront,” Westfall said. “I think it was a very appropriate resolution for this case.”
The victims included three people from North Texas and travelers from Oregon, Utah and Norway.
Investigators recovered one of the stolen iPads from among Dovel’s possessions at Terminal E when he was arrested Feb. 1.
©2012 Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Visit the Fort Worth Star-Telegram at www.star-telegram.com. Distributed by MCT Information Services
- Prepackaged caramel apples linked to 4...
- The Associated Press' top 10 movies of the year
- Hackers warn not to release 'The Interview'...
- Christmas 1914: The day even WWI showed humanity
- What people never mention when they talk...
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,...
- Cincinnati coach Mick Cronin has aneurysm
- Think your marital status is important? The...
- Obama: US re-establishing diplomatic... 49
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 32
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his... 16
- Sony cancels 'The Interview' Dec. 25... 15
- Taliban assault on Pakistan school... 13
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 13
- Utah football's Hackett, Orchard named... 11
- NYC premiere of Rogen film 'The... 8