The most famous court appearance stemming from the show was Polizzi's in Sept. 2010, in which a municipal court judge sternly lectured her, borrowing from Dean Wormer's speech to Flounder in the movie "Animal House" in which the dean admonished the wayward student that "fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life."
"Rude, profane, obnoxious and self-indulgent is not the way to live your life," Judge Damian G. Murray told Polizzi. "If this was your idea of a good time, it appears your recent celebrity has affected your judgment."
After asking Polizzi whether she had staged the incident for the cameras (she said she had not), the judge fined her $500 for one count of interfering with the quiet enjoyment of the beach. It was a plea deal negotiated down from a charge of "criminal annoyance of others," but not before a whole round of "Snooki is criminally annoying" jokes was launched.
In her haste to leave the building, Polizzi left the credit card she had used to pay her fine at the court clerk's window, prompting a court employee to chase after her with it before Polizzi sped away in a large SUV.
Raya, who represented Polizzi two years ago, said he doesn't think the production staff encourages cast members to break the law.
"You have these outside actors drawn to the show, girls coming down to Seaside Heights hoping to hook up with the guys on the show, guys coming to Seaside Heights hoping to hook up with the girls on the show," he said. "When you have a combination of large amounts of alcohol along with large amounts of hormones, this stuff is going to happen."
Wayne Parry can be reached at http://twitter.com/WayneParryAC
- Vegas’ water drying up
- Grieving borrowers told to repay student loan
- Photo gallery: Celebrating Easter across the...
- Teen stowaway shows holes in vast airport...
- Supreme Court upholds Michigan's affirmative...
- Costa Rican a celebrity after certified miracle
- Summer movie preview: Hollywood bets big again
- Utah bank confirms that Ghanaian mining...
- Affordable Care Act only chips away at... 25
- Supreme Court upholds Michigan's... 14
- Grieving borrowers told to repay... 13
- Public smoke-out marks pot holiday in... 12
- Judge: Indiana hasn't given valid... 12
- Some countries get Obama, but want his... 11
- Democrats eye 15 cities for 2016... 10
- Colorado deaths stoke worries about pot... 8