"It was a cool day," Simpson said. "I had a peace all day. I knew it was a tough golf course. I probably prayed more the last three holes than I ever did in my life."
Simpson's shot from the rough on the 18th hole went just right of the green and disappeared into a hole, a circle of dirt about the size of a sprinkler cap. With a clump of grass behind the ball, he had a bold stroke for such a nervy shot and it came out perfectly, rolling 3 feet by the hole for his much-needed par.
Then, it was time to wait.
It was the third time in the last seven years that no one broke par in the U.S. Open. On all three occasions, the winner was in the locker room when it the tournament ended.
U.S. Open leaderboard
W. Simpson 72-73-68-68 —281 +1
M. Thompson 66-75-74-67 —282 +2
G. McDowell 69-72-68-73 —282 +2
D. Toms 69-70-76-68 —283 +3
P. Harrington 74-70-71-68 —283 +3
J. Peterson 71-70-72-70 —283 +3
J. Dufner 72-71-70-70 —283 +3
J. Furyk 70-69-70-74 —283 +3
E. Els 75-69-68-72 —284 +4U.S. Open key hole
Hole: No. 18
Stroke Average: 4.3
Key Fact: Winner Webb Simpson got up and down from just off the green for par on the final hole. Graeme McDowell had a 25-footer for birdie to tie but missed, while Jim Furyk made bogey when he needed birdie to force a playoff.
- To serve or not to serve: BYU star athletes...
- Speculation begins about who the next Utah...
- Brad Rock: Jazz coaching hire — this...
- Utah Sports Ruckus: Grading the Jazz's...
- Dick Harmon: Former BYU basketball star Alan...
- Utah native Seth Wold led the Boston Marathon...
- Possible replacements as new Jazz coach
- U. student government passes resolution to...
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating... 61
- Utah Jazz: Tyrone Corbin's contract... 56
- To serve or not to serve: BYU star... 39
- U. student government passes resolution... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with... 25
- Mike Sorensen: To keep or not to keep... 24
- Speculation begins about who the next... 24
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but... 19