"It was a cool day," Simpson said. "I had a peace all day. I knew it was a tough golf course. I probably prayed more the last three holes than I ever did in my life."
Simpson's shot from the rough on the 18th hole went just right of the green and disappeared into a hole, a circle of dirt about the size of a sprinkler cap. With a clump of grass behind the ball, he had a bold stroke for such a nervy shot and it came out perfectly, rolling 3 feet by the hole for his much-needed par.
Then, it was time to wait.
It was the third time in the last seven years that no one broke par in the U.S. Open. On all three occasions, the winner was in the locker room when it the tournament ended.
U.S. Open leaderboard
W. Simpson 72-73-68-68 —281 +1
M. Thompson 66-75-74-67 —282 +2
G. McDowell 69-72-68-73 —282 +2
D. Toms 69-70-76-68 —283 +3
P. Harrington 74-70-71-68 —283 +3
J. Peterson 71-70-72-70 —283 +3
J. Dufner 72-71-70-70 —283 +3
J. Furyk 70-69-70-74 —283 +3
E. Els 75-69-68-72 —284 +4U.S. Open key hole
Hole: No. 18
Stroke Average: 4.3
Key Fact: Winner Webb Simpson got up and down from just off the green for par on the final hole. Graeme McDowell had a 25-footer for birdie to tie but missed, while Jim Furyk made bogey when he needed birdie to force a playoff.
- BYU football: Fan-developed software gives...
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who took...
- Deseret News live streaming schedule for boys...
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz remain in...
- Utah Jazz: Team is a long shot to win NBA's...
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian players...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state tournament...
- High school baseball: Logan's Chase Nelson...
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian... 130
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a... 78
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 53
- Brad Rock: USU athletics can go home again 22
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who... 18
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood... 13
- Utah State football: New coach Matt... 11
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same... 10