Sandusky trial testimony of boys without fathers in their lives strikes nerve on Father's Day
Instead, the focus should be on what they call “primary prevention,” which seeks to teach adults to recognize signs of grooming behavior, intervention, and indicators that children are being abused.
“It’s ineffective to try to protect kids when we’re only focused on risk reduction,” Houser said.
She encourages caretakers, whether it’s both or the single parent in a household to take measures such as letting children set their own boundaries and giving their children the proper words for their private parts so they wouldn’t think it is taboo to talk about.
For the 23-year-old known as alleged victim No. 3, he testified Sandusky fondled him when he was 12 and the older man’s body reacted by becoming aroused. But he never said anything until police contact him, and he reluctantly began opening up, he said.
But long before that, he testified he lost touch with Sandusky after being placed in foster care. He was hopeful that Sandusky would call him or find a way to adopt him and wondered how Sandusky could just forget about him.
“He formed relationships with these young boys that made them feel special,” said Andronici, one of the civil attorneys representing the young men who are alleged victims in the case. “He told them they were family. This emotional bond was extremely important."
But now, the young man testified, he’s angry and hurt about the alleged abuse.
He said feels betrayed.
“I loved him,” the young man said.
©2012 Centre Daily Times (State College, Pa.)
Visit the Centre Daily Times (State College, Pa.) at www.centredaily.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- BYU football: Fan-developed software gives...
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who took...
- Deseret News live streaming schedule for boys...
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz remain in...
- Utah Jazz: Team is a long shot to win NBA's...
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian players...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state tournament...
- High school baseball: Logan's Chase Nelson...
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian... 130
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a... 78
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 53
- Brad Rock: USU athletics can go home again 22
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who... 18
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood... 13
- Utah State football: New coach Matt... 11
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same... 10