Baggott says the Raptors' attendance supremacy could be challenged this year by the Grand Junction (Colo.) Rockies, formerly the Casper (Wyo.) Ghosts. During the offseason, they were purchased by the Colorado Rockies, who moved the franchise to Grand Junction, where they'll play in an 11,000-seat stadium.
Ogden hosts Grand Junction in its season-opener on Monday night.
This year, the Raptors' theme is "It's Magical" — a play on the fact that former NBA superstar Earvin "Magic" Johnson is now part-owner of the Raptors' parent Los Angeles Dodgers' franchise. Baggott is hoping that "Magic" might make a special guest appearance at Lindquist Field this season.
And who could blame him?
After all, one of minor league baseball's favorite slogans is, "Watch the Stars of Tomorrow Today."
And when it comes to the Pioneer League's Raptors and Owlz, that slogan has certainly proven to be true, time after time.
Home park: Lindquist Field (capacity 7,000)
Manager: Damon Berryhill (4th season)
Pioneer League championships: None
Last year: Won the first-half title in Southern Division, defeated Orem in first round of playoffs before losing to Great Falls in the league championship series. It was the second straight season the Raptors lost in the league championship series.
2012 season-opener: Monday vs. Grand Junction, Colo.
Established: 2001 (as Provo Angels)
Home park: Brent Brown Ballpark (capacity 5,000) on the campus of Utah Valley University
Manager: Tom Kotchman (12th season)
Pioneer League championships: 4 (2004, 2005, 2007, 2009)
Last year: Won second-half title in the Southern Division, lost to Ogden in first round of the playoffs
2012 season-opener: Monday at Idaho Falls
2012 home-opener: Thursday vs. Ogden
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- NFL locals photo gallery: Ansah grabs the...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48