Text of debate between Sen. Orrin Hatch, Dan Liljenquist on KSL's Doug Wright Show
Orrin Hatch: Now there's a fine fellow and I wish him well but let me just say this to you. We are in trouble in this country and it isn't mainly Republicans that have put us in trouble. We all know that. Everybody in Utah knows that. We have troubles in Utah that we just have to be, we have to have the experience and the ability to take care of it. Hill Air Force Base is a prime example, with some of our water projects, some of the nuclear waste programs they tried to sample to us, some of our Utah lands. All of these things take experience to handle. Let me tell you something I actually believe there are solutions, and there are ways to solve these problems. But we gotta get more Republicans and more conservative Republicans at that. I'll just tell this little story. The fellow was walking along he fell into a hole, it was so deep he couldn't get out. The businessman walked by and he says "Help me! I can't get out of here!" Businessman threw in $20 down into the hole and then he walked away. And then there was the doctor who came by and he said "Help me! I'm in this hole and I can't get out of it!" And the doctor wrote out a prescription and dropped it in the hole and walked away. Thirdly, one of his friends came by, and he looked at him and said "What are you doing down there?" he said "I'm in the hole, I'd like to get out!" Well the friend jumped into the hole. And the man says "What are you doing? You jumped into the hole and I don't know how to get out" And the man said "I've been here before and I know the way out." Experience does count. I've had a 90 percent American Conservative Union voting record for 36 years. I've been endorsed just today by the American Conservative Union and basically almost all the good conservative groups back there, endorsing me, including the NRA. And they're doing it for one reason because I carry these fights. I take them seriously and I win for Utah and our country.
Doug Wright: Gentlemen, I so thank you. Joining us here we wish you both well, we appreciate you being part of our debate today at KSL News Radio.
- Utah man accused of rape is no stranger to...
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy immune system
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and who is he?
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant coach...
- Poll: LDS Church influence over... 60
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 59
- Josh Romney: I won't run against Sen.... 56
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 36
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 20
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 19
- Tickets sell out for 'Book of Mormon'... 16
- Gov. Gary Herbert resisting Utah GOP... 14