Nice try, Mets. It's not a no-hitter.
Major League Baseball denied the team's appeal of an official scoring decision during R.A. Dickey's one-hitter at Tampa Bay. The knuckleballer allowed only an infield single Wednesday night, and New York asked the commissioner's office to review the play and consider whether third baseman David Wright should have been charged with an error on B.J. Upton's hit.
The Mets said Friday the appeal was turned down, just as they expected.
"Just took a shot at it," manager Terry Collins said. "Thought R.A. deserved a shot. It was no slam at David."
Dickey did not ask the Mets to appeal, but said he appreciated the gesture.
HAMILTON HOSPITALIZED: Texas Rangers slugger Josh Hamilton was hospitalized early Friday after becoming dehydrated because of an intestinal virus and likely will miss the weekend series against Houston.
The Rangers said Hamilton was receiving fluids in the hospital because of a virus going around his family. He was expected to be released by today.
Hamilton was replaced in the field late Thursday night in an 11-3 loss to Arizona after telling manager Ron Washington that he had a stomach ache. Before that, the manager had seen nothing to indicate Hamilton wasn't feeling good.
DRABEK HAS TORN LIGAMENT: Blue Jays right-hander Kyle Drabek may require elbow surgery for the second time after an MRI on Friday revealed a torn ligament.
Drabek, who underwent ligament replacement surgery as a minor leaguer in 2007, will visit noted surgeon Dr. James Andrews on Monday to confirm the diagnosis.
The former first-round pick left Wednesday's start against Washington in the fifth inning after a "popping" in the back of the elbow.
- 2015 Heisman Trophy tracker, preseason...
- Cougars looking for special season with...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- BYU football: Ranking the most important...
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU football: Receiver Nick Kurtz poised for...
- Dick Harmon: How much swagger BYU finds after...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 84
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 62
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 31
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 28
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 26
- Morning links: Can Cougars snap... 25