Nice try, Mets. It's not a no-hitter.
Major League Baseball denied the team's appeal of an official scoring decision during R.A. Dickey's one-hitter at Tampa Bay. The knuckleballer allowed only an infield single Wednesday night, and New York asked the commissioner's office to review the play and consider whether third baseman David Wright should have been charged with an error on B.J. Upton's hit.
The Mets said Friday the appeal was turned down, just as they expected.
"Just took a shot at it," manager Terry Collins said. "Thought R.A. deserved a shot. It was no slam at David."
Dickey did not ask the Mets to appeal, but said he appreciated the gesture.
HAMILTON HOSPITALIZED: Texas Rangers slugger Josh Hamilton was hospitalized early Friday after becoming dehydrated because of an intestinal virus and likely will miss the weekend series against Houston.
The Rangers said Hamilton was receiving fluids in the hospital because of a virus going around his family. He was expected to be released by today.
Hamilton was replaced in the field late Thursday night in an 11-3 loss to Arizona after telling manager Ron Washington that he had a stomach ache. Before that, the manager had seen nothing to indicate Hamilton wasn't feeling good.
DRABEK HAS TORN LIGAMENT: Blue Jays right-hander Kyle Drabek may require elbow surgery for the second time after an MRI on Friday revealed a torn ligament.
Drabek, who underwent ligament replacement surgery as a minor leaguer in 2007, will visit noted surgeon Dr. James Andrews on Monday to confirm the diagnosis.
The former first-round pick left Wednesday's start against Washington in the fifth inning after a "popping" in the back of the elbow.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45