This week, Mormon Times shares the testimonies of five scholars who are faithful members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The essays are provided by the website MormonScholarsTestify.org. They are "expressions of faith from committed Latter-day Saint academics," according to Daniel C. Peterson, founder of the website.
Peterson, who writes a weekly column for Mormon Times, is a professor of Islamic studies and Arabic at Brigham Young University and the director of advancement for the Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship.
The project, Peterson says, was inspired by Elder M. Russell Ballard's request during a December 2007 commencement address at BYU-Hawaii for members of the LDS Church to share the gospel online.
"Through the Internet, I can communicate inexpensively with interested people around the globe," Peterson said. "My geographical neighbors may overwhelmingly be faithful members of the church, but, via modern media, I've gained additional millions of neighbors, some of whom will be receptive to the gospel."
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- State bills to protect religious freedom...
- LDS Church releases Easter video, campaign
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone and...
- President Henry B. Eyring: 'The Comforter'
- Lexi Hansen forgives driver who hit her (+video)
- Returning LDS missionary, father battling...
- 185th Annual General Conference talk...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone... 162
- Why I don’t call myself a... 92
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A... 63
- Heaven can wait, Christian bookstore... 17
- Millennials are the ‘don’t... 15
- Meet the Muslim actor playing Jesus in... 10
- Returning LDS missionary, father... 8
- State bills to protect religious... 8