This week, Mormon Times shares the testimonies of five scholars who are faithful members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The essays are provided by the website MormonScholarsTestify.org. They are "expressions of faith from committed Latter-day Saint academics," according to Daniel C. Peterson, founder of the website.
Peterson, who writes a weekly column for Mormon Times, is a professor of Islamic studies and Arabic at Brigham Young University and the director of advancement for the Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship.
The project, Peterson says, was inspired by Elder M. Russell Ballard's request during a December 2007 commencement address at BYU-Hawaii for members of the LDS Church to share the gospel online.
"Through the Internet, I can communicate inexpensively with interested people around the globe," Peterson said. "My geographical neighbors may overwhelmingly be faithful members of the church, but, via modern media, I've gained additional millions of neighbors, some of whom will be receptive to the gospel."
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The Book...
- LDS mom qualifies for U.S. Olympic Marathon...
- My Plan: A new tool to help LDS missionaries...
- LDS Church leaders share personal photos and...
- Duce's Wild: Working miracles regardless of...
- ‘Ambushed’ officer: God told me...
- The best Christian workplaces in 2015
- ValueSpeak: 'Goodbye, Farewell and Amen'
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in... 48
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The... 26
- Duce's Wild: Working miracles... 25
- Defending the Faith: FairMormon... 20
- Russians' views on religion are... 16
- 5 faith facts about Jim Gilmore:... 8
- LDS World: Western author Wallace... 6
- Jerry Earl Johnston: My latest minuet... 4