This week, Mormon Times shares the testimonies of five scholars who are faithful members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The essays are provided by the website MormonScholarsTestify.org. They are "expressions of faith from committed Latter-day Saint academics," according to Daniel C. Peterson, founder of the website.
Peterson, who writes a weekly column for Mormon Times, is a professor of Islamic studies and Arabic at Brigham Young University and the director of advancement for the Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship.
The project, Peterson says, was inspired by Elder M. Russell Ballard's request during a December 2007 commencement address at BYU-Hawaii for members of the LDS Church to share the gospel online.
"Through the Internet, I can communicate inexpensively with interested people around the globe," Peterson said. "My geographical neighbors may overwhelmingly be faithful members of the church, but, via modern media, I've gained additional millions of neighbors, some of whom will be receptive to the gospel."
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former executive...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- President Uchtfdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Watch: Mormon missionaries save baby ducks
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS...
- LDS Church releases video about overcoming...
- What does heaven look like? Here are 10...
- Defending the Faith: Paul and his list of...
- Ask Angela: I'm not getting married in... 89
- LDS Church releases video about... 43
- Defending the Faith: Paul and his list... 22
- LDS stake presidency participates in... 19
- Amish country bristles at... 10
- Want to keep your faith in college?... 7
- BYU coach, players answer questions at... 7
- Is James Foley a martyr? A brutal death... 6