This week, Mormon Times shares the testimonies of five scholars who are faithful members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The essays are provided by the website MormonScholarsTestify.org. They are "expressions of faith from committed Latter-day Saint academics," according to Daniel C. Peterson, founder of the website.
Peterson, who writes a weekly column for Mormon Times, is a professor of Islamic studies and Arabic at Brigham Young University and the director of advancement for the Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship.
The project, Peterson says, was inspired by Elder M. Russell Ballard's request during a December 2007 commencement address at BYU-Hawaii for members of the LDS Church to share the gospel online.
"Through the Internet, I can communicate inexpensively with interested people around the globe," Peterson said. "My geographical neighbors may overwhelmingly be faithful members of the church, but, via modern media, I've gained additional millions of neighbors, some of whom will be receptive to the gospel."
- Picturing history: West Lebanon, New Hampshire
- Jerry Earl Johnston: At times the people we...
- Why many churches can't endorse political...
- LDS.org post opens arms to 'Pokemon Go' players
- Ohio Mormon offered invocation at Republican...
- BYU climbs from No. 15 to No. 5 in this...
- 5 diverse appeals to God that were just made...
- What's new: 'By the Voice of My Servants'...
- Defending the Faith: Two theological... 31
- BYU climbs from No. 15 to No. 5 in this... 25
- Utah man credits God for survival of 4... 25
- Ohio Mormon offered invocation at... 22
- Why many churches can't endorse... 13
- Revealed: What a draft of the... 10
- Donald Trump's 'evangelical moment'... 10
- LDS.org post opens arms to 'Pokemon Go'... 9