This week, Mormon Times shares the testimonies of five scholars who are faithful members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The essays are provided by the website MormonScholarsTestify.org. They are "expressions of faith from committed Latter-day Saint academics," according to Daniel C. Peterson, founder of the website.
Peterson, who writes a weekly column for Mormon Times, is a professor of Islamic studies and Arabic at Brigham Young University and the director of advancement for the Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship.
The project, Peterson says, was inspired by Elder M. Russell Ballard's request during a December 2007 commencement address at BYU-Hawaii for members of the LDS Church to share the gospel online.
"Through the Internet, I can communicate inexpensively with interested people around the globe," Peterson said. "My geographical neighbors may overwhelmingly be faithful members of the church, but, via modern media, I've gained additional millions of neighbors, some of whom will be receptive to the gospel."
- Are church youth dances outdated?
- Seeking and sorrowing: Sisters of the Prophet...
- Returned Mormon missionary wins Ms. Virginia...
- Number of LDS converts, missionaries...
- Rare LDS Church document discovered that...
- Elder Nelson dedicates Life Sciences...
- Defending the Faith: The mystery of the...
- Joseph and Emma Smith as parents
- Defending the Faith: The mystery of the... 62
- Faith groups urge Supreme Court to... 61
- Are church youth dances outdated? 50
- Returned Mormon missionary wins Ms.... 37
- Jerry Earl Johnston: The Founding... 25
- 5 faith facts about Marco Rubio:... 14
- Elder Nelson dedicates Life Sciences... 13
- Number of LDS converts, missionaries... 13