I understand why many people believe in providing for the poor and unemployed, researching into alternative energy and funding other supposedly necessary government programs. What I don't understand is why some people don't want to allow the good people of this country the freedom to choose what they do with their own money.
Agency is a gift we have been given by God. Voting to give our government the power to take money from working citizens (through taxes) to be distributed by our politicians to whomever and wherever they deem "necessary" takes away that gift. It is compulsion, pure and simple. It is not virtuous to force others to do what we think is right. Let good people do good things.
Kim A. Skinner
- In our opinion: Scouting success will come...
- Top scandals and controversies of each United...
- My view: Why moderates lost the caucus vote
- In our opinion: Big screen exploitation of...
- Letters: No welfare, ever
- Lois M. Collins: Kids' summer 'bucket list'...
- Top scandals and controversies of each US...
- Tolerance and the same-sex marriage debate
- Letters: No welfare, ever 66
- Letter: The real death panel:... 30
- My view: Why moderates lost the caucus... 30
- Tolerance and the same-sex marriage debate 26
- In our opinion: Big screen exploitation... 25
- Matthew Sanders: Imploding trust in... 20
- Charles Krauthammer: Americans deserve... 17
- Michael Gerson: As government's... 15