Former Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan bows out of Bobcats coaching race
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Jerry Sloan and Michael Jordan won't be on the same team, after all.
Sloan took himself out of the mix to be considered for the vacant Charlotte Bobcats head coaching position, according to Sports Illustrated.
It had been reported that the former longtime Jazz coach was one of three finalists for the job to coach the team coming off the worst season in NBA history. Indiana assistant Brian Shaw and Lakers assistant Quin Snyder are still in the running for the job to coach the team owned by Jordan.
"I took myself out today," Sloan told SI.com on Thursday. "I don't want to comment on it because it's never profitable for anybody. It just makes it sound like you're making a statement about someone. But they were wonderful and there were no problems. I just took myself out."
Sloan last met with Jordan about the Bobcats job three weeks ago in Utah, but a source told Sports Illustrated that Shaw had an "excellent" meeting with the Bobcats owner Thursday. Snyder reportedly will meet with Jordan again as well.
Sloan has bounced between his Illinois farm and his Utah home since calling it quits during the middle of the 2010-11 season. After the dust settled, Sloan reiterated that he would love to return to coaching under the right circumstances. Sloan told SI.com that he has not been approached about openings with Portland and Orlando.
"I wasn't involved in (those situations), and people said I was but I wasn't at all," Sloan said. "I only talked to Michael Jordan. That's it."
Sloan told Sports Illustrated he isn't disappointed about the turn of events.
"No, not at all. Whatever happens, happens," Sloan said. "I don't have any control over those things. I just do what we've got to do. If somebody calls me, I guess I'd listen to what they have to say. But I don't have an agent, and if somebody calls I'd be willing to listen to them."
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's...
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA career...
- BYU-USU video: 5 plays that turned the game...
- College Football: Utah moves back into top...
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell...
- BYU reaches 9-win plateau, hoping for bowl...
- Jazz notebook: Rookie's new wardrobe...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 99
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 41
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 39
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Utah State denies David Collette's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Aggies will give BYU best... 23
- Doug Robinson: Colorado-Utah: In the... 23
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 23