Utah coach Larry Krystkowiak announced a pair of staff hirings on Wednesday, adding Runnin' Ute Phil Cullen and the program's first basketball-specific strength and conditioning coach to the mix.
Charles Stephenson will oversee the latter, while Cullen is the new director of player development and camps.
"It's very exciting," Cullen said. "There's a lot of familiar faces here and a lot of great memories."
Cullen is looking forward to working in the Pac-12 and expressed a "tremendous amount of respect" for Krystkowiak and the other members of the Utah staff.
"There's going to be a learning curve for me," Cullen said. "But I'm excited to learn under guys with such experience."
Krystkowiak noted that Cullen is a good fit and added that it's exciting to get some more Utah blood back in the program. Cullen replaces Randy Baruth, who took the head coaching job at Saginaw Valley State.
Stephenson comes to Utah after serving as the men's basketball strength coach at Auburn (1994-96) and North Carolina State (1996-2011).
"It's an exciting time to be at the University of Utah," Stephenson said. "I'm fortunate and happy to be a part of it."
CAMP SEASON: The Utes have 220 kids participating in this week's overnight camp and 115 squads enrolled in the team camp that begins Thursday. … Cullen said space remains for the July 16-19 youth camp. Go to www.utahbasketballcamps.com for more information.
UVU BASEBALL COACH GIVEN EXTENSION: Utah Valley University director of athletics Mike Jacobsen has announced that head baseball coach Eric Madsen has signed a contract extension that will keep him in Orem through the 2016 season. Under Madsen, the Wolverines have gone 141-86 (.621) in his four seasons.
BYU PROGRAMS RANKED IN TOP 10: BYU men's track & field and cross country finished the 2011-12 season ranked No. 7, while the women were ranked No. 10 in the final U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association NCAA Division I Program of the Year Standings.
BYU SOFTBALL PLAYERS NAMED ALL-AMERICAN: BYU softball's JC Clayton and Delaney Willard were named Easton All-Americans, with Willard named to the first team and Clayton to the second team.
ATUAIA NAMED ASSISTANT TO THE AD AT BYU: BYU director of athletics Tom Holmoe today announced the hiring of Mark Atuaia as an assistant to the athletic director for student services. Prior to joining the athletics department, Atuaia had been serving as the assistant to the dean of Student Life at BYU.
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make...
- Morning links: Utes land a local commitment...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football winner...
- Utah Jazz forward Gordon Hayward gets a...
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball, slow down
- 'In Football We Trust' puts a religious twist...
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 66
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 38
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 32
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 31
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 24
- Utes get it done at home again 21