Tom Smart, Deseret News
Some parents from Windbridge Elementary school were upset about the book "In Our Mothers' House." They took their complaint to the school library media committee who decided it should be moved from the K-2 bookshelves to the grades 3-6 shelves.
The parents didn't like that decision so they collected 25 signatures from other parents and took it to the next level, the Davis County District Library Media Committee. On April 30, this group looked at the complaint and decided to move the book behind the librarian's desk and require a parental signature before checking out the book, effectively banning it. The policy of the Davis County School District is that this decision cannot be reconsidered or reversed for three years.
There was nothing about this April 30 meeting published before the meeting, only comments made by people afterwards objecting to the decision.
Chris Williams, of the Davis County School District, says the only option for people is to submit the issue to the school board as an agenda item for a school board meeting.
Of course, there is no assurance that the board will accept the item and put it on the agenda. They are only required to post their agenda 24 hours in advance, leaving very little opportunity for anyone to even notice that the banning of books issue is before the school, let alone get prepared for a presentation to the school board.
What a shame.
- What The New York Times gets wrong about...
- In our opinion: Fix, don't repeal, Affordable...
- What one word best describes Barack Obama?
- Why LDS Church's anti-discrimination stance...
- Michael Gerson: America has enough problems...
- W. Bradford Wilcox: Yes, women and children...
- Michael and Jenet Erickson: Utah businesses...
- Letter: Antelope Island prison
- What The New York Times gets wrong... 76
- In our opinion: Fix, don't repeal,... 70
- Michael and Jenet Erickson: Utah... 50
- In our opinion: It's time to end the... 42
- Mike Lee: Tax reform shouldn't penalize... 38
- In our opinion: Fairness for all in... 37
- Jay Evensen: Will Obama visit Utah? Do... 37
- In our opinion: Disney outbreak sends a... 33