Sports Illustrated: Damian Lillard's journey from Weber State to top-10 NBA Draft prospect
Ravell Call, Deseret News
Our take: For the second year in a row, a collegiate basketball player from the state of Utah could go in the lottery range of the NBA Draft. Sports Illustrated's Sam Amick examines the journey that has led Damian Lillard from Oakland to Ogden to the cusp of basketball stardom.
Lillard has been struggling with his hometown since he was small, trying to appreciate the people who support him while protecting himself against the ones whose intentions he questions. For every good neighbor who offers him genuine well wishes on his hoops journey, there's another asking for a handout — albeit not at gunpoint — even before he's earned his first NBA paycheck. So Lillard chose the path of solitude, blocking out the pressures and most of the people who surrounded him and developing a singular focus on improving his game.
Read more about Weber State basketball star and NBA prospect Damian Lillard on SI.com.
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 83
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 41
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain... 24