Business, Government, and Cheap Debt; now is not the time for Uncle Sam to borrow
Robert P. Murphy is author of "The Politically Incorrect Guide to Capitalism." His blog is "Free Advice."
"We shouldnt accept the premise that the government owns the entire economy; hence GDP should not be considered the governments income in a given year. If were going to pick a specific number, the proper analog would be federal receipts."
"Even if it were true that a private corporation would take on more debt, if it were currently wearing Uncle Sams shoes, that alone wouldnt be sufficient to seal the argument. This is because government debt involves present citizens living at the expense of future taxpayers, who may not even be alive yet to argue about the decision."
Read more about federal and private sector low interest rates and debt on The American Conservative.
- In our opinion: Boy Scouts of America and...
- Was Hillary right to compare Putin to Hitler?
- My view: History lesson — 'Taking back'...
- Endangered Species Act lost sight of its mission
- Who are the real heroes of election reform?
- Sen. Ted Cruz opens 2014 CPAC with...
- Letter: Religious freedom
- Robert J. Samuelson: Income tax has become a...
- Letter: Minimum Wage insufficient 66
- Has Obama's foreign policy emboldened... 62
- Jay Evensen: Obama could use a dose of... 60
- Letter: Religious freedom 52
- Obama's biggest test: Ukraine 33
- Sen. Ted Cruz opens 2014 CPAC with... 27
- In our opinion: Boy Scouts of America... 27
- Was Hillary right to compare Putin to... 26