Business, Government, and Cheap Debt; now is not the time for Uncle Sam to borrow
Robert P. Murphy is author of "The Politically Incorrect Guide to Capitalism." His blog is "Free Advice."
"We shouldnt accept the premise that the government owns the entire economy; hence GDP should not be considered the governments income in a given year. If were going to pick a specific number, the proper analog would be federal receipts."
"Even if it were true that a private corporation would take on more debt, if it were currently wearing Uncle Sams shoes, that alone wouldnt be sufficient to seal the argument. This is because government debt involves present citizens living at the expense of future taxpayers, who may not even be alive yet to argue about the decision."
Read more about federal and private sector low interest rates and debt on The American Conservative.
- 10 things you never knew about the FBI
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah...
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook for...
- Robert Bennett: Hamas and its financial...
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Re-enactment...
- Letter: Policy disagreement
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have voted for
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 109
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have... 72
- Stuart Reid: Translations of religious... 61
- Dan Liljenquist: Religious liberty and... 52
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 46
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 45
- Letter: Policy disagreement 45
- In our opinion: Use market forces and... 33