Business, Government, and Cheap Debt; now is not the time for Uncle Sam to borrow
Robert P. Murphy is author of "The Politically Incorrect Guide to Capitalism." His blog is "Free Advice."
"We shouldnt accept the premise that the government owns the entire economy; hence GDP should not be considered the governments income in a given year. If were going to pick a specific number, the proper analog would be federal receipts."
"Even if it were true that a private corporation would take on more debt, if it were currently wearing Uncle Sams shoes, that alone wouldnt be sufficient to seal the argument. This is because government debt involves present citizens living at the expense of future taxpayers, who may not even be alive yet to argue about the decision."
Read more about federal and private sector low interest rates and debt on The American Conservative.
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography...
- Ralph Hancock: The anti-establishment delusion
- Jonathan Johnson: The truth about sales tax...
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps us strong
- In our opinion: Internet sales tax should...
- In our opinion: National security and the...
- My view: Mayor Biskupski deserves to build...
- Richard Davis: Why do I serve?
- In our opinion: National security and... 74
- Is it time for our first woman president? 55
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms... 54
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography... 30
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps... 28
- Ralph Hancock: The anti-establishment... 19
- Letter: Hillary and FOIA 18
- Letter: Coal and job creation 18