Business, Government, and Cheap Debt; now is not the time for Uncle Sam to borrow
Robert P. Murphy is author of "The Politically Incorrect Guide to Capitalism." His blog is "Free Advice."
"We shouldnt accept the premise that the government owns the entire economy; hence GDP should not be considered the governments income in a given year. If were going to pick a specific number, the proper analog would be federal receipts."
"Even if it were true that a private corporation would take on more debt, if it were currently wearing Uncle Sams shoes, that alone wouldnt be sufficient to seal the argument. This is because government debt involves present citizens living at the expense of future taxpayers, who may not even be alive yet to argue about the decision."
Read more about federal and private sector low interest rates and debt on The American Conservative.
- In our opinion: Obama's State of the... 72
- Jay Evensen: Obama must make religious... 56
- In our opinion: Supreme Court rules... 35
- Letter: Not so lazy 34
- In our opinion: Disney outbreak sends a... 28
- Letter: Prison nonsense 27
- Robert Bennett: Obama's State of the... 24
- George F. Will: America’s welfare... 22