Our take: With all of the dispute in the United States about same-sex marriage, the Church of England is taking a stand on the issue.
It says giving civil ceremonies the status of marriage would "alter the intrinsic nature of marriage as the union of a man and a woman".
The Home Office said religious bodies would not have to conduct gay marriages but the Church also fears this could be challenged in European courts.
Gay rights campaigners accuse the Church of "scaremongering".
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch
- Appeals judges question right to sue in...
- Dirty creek, old purse solve four-decade...
- Police: Student ate more pot than recommended...
- How does the world feel about morals and...
- Get married, stay married? No fault divorce...
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet
- Sentenced but never jailed, robber who went...
- Obama: Religious intolerance has... 77
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- The dangers of financially illiterate... 30
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care 24
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 24
- Bureau of Land Management to pursue... 22
- Report projects health law's subsidies... 21
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch 17