Our take: With all of the dispute in the United States about same-sex marriage, the Church of England is taking a stand on the issue.
It says giving civil ceremonies the status of marriage would "alter the intrinsic nature of marriage as the union of a man and a woman".
The Home Office said religious bodies would not have to conduct gay marriages but the Church also fears this could be challenged in European courts.
Gay rights campaigners accuse the Church of "scaremongering".
- 2 cops in New York City ambushed, fatally...
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,...
- The Associated Press' top 10 movies of the year
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by to watch
- Christmas 1914: The day even WWI showed humanity
- What people never mention when they talk...
- 9 films advance in Oscars shortlist for best...
- 'Hobbit' goes out on top with $90.6 million...
- Obama: US re-establishing diplomatic... 49
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 32
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his... 16
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,... 16
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 16
- Sony cancels 'The Interview' Dec. 25... 15
- NYC premiere of Rogen film 'The... 8
- Utah mourners for Pakistani children... 8