Our take: With all of the dispute in the United States about same-sex marriage, the Church of England is taking a stand on the issue.
It says giving civil ceremonies the status of marriage would "alter the intrinsic nature of marriage as the union of a man and a woman".
The Home Office said religious bodies would not have to conduct gay marriages but the Church also fears this could be challenged in European courts.
Gay rights campaigners accuse the Church of "scaremongering".
- Canada man finds an Elizabeth Gallagher for...
- Final goodbye: Roll call of some who died in...
- AP Photos: 4 seasons in 1 war on WWI...
- 10 Things to See: A week of top AP photos
- Abused children die as officials across the...
- Feisty former NYC schools chief cuts loose on...
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his powers
- Timeline of the Sony Pictures Entertainment hack
- Obama: US re-establishing diplomatic... 49
- End gun violence, say faith leaders on... 33
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 31
- Police: 3 dead, including gunman, in... 18
- Sony cancels 'The Interview' Dec. 25... 15
- Taliban assault on Pakistan school... 13
- Utah football's Hackett, Orchard named... 11
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his... 11