Our take: With all of the dispute in the United States about same-sex marriage, the Church of England is taking a stand on the issue.
It says giving civil ceremonies the status of marriage would "alter the intrinsic nature of marriage as the union of a man and a woman".
The Home Office said religious bodies would not have to conduct gay marriages but the Church also fears this could be challenged in European courts.
Gay rights campaigners accuse the Church of "scaremongering".
- Ex-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in...
- Ben Barnes, Katherine Heigl in tune in...
- Living with Children: Late nights, not school...
- 32 teens escape from Nashville detention center
- Saudi king says terrorists will reach Europe...
- Video purports to show second beheading of US...
- AP Analysis: Putin digs in for long Ukraine...
- Lawmakers: Islamic State groups wants to hit US
- Ex-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in... 76
- Lawmakers: Islamic State groups wants... 22
- House, Senate intel chiefs press White... 17
- Obama tamps down prospect of strikes in... 16
- Saudi king says terrorists will reach... 13
- Freelancers and millennials help usher... 12
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- US judge blocks enforcement of new... 10