Our take: With all of the dispute in the United States about same-sex marriage, the Church of England is taking a stand on the issue.
It says giving civil ceremonies the status of marriage would "alter the intrinsic nature of marriage as the union of a man and a woman".
The Home Office said religious bodies would not have to conduct gay marriages but the Church also fears this could be challenged in European courts.
Gay rights campaigners accuse the Church of "scaremongering".
- Boy Scouts open membership to all boys,...
- Gallup poll shows shift in views on morality...
- Defending the Faith: A case for the...
- Scouts likely to face further turmoil
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize...
- Mistake or miracle: New evidence on the...
- Affordable Care Act could bring 'skinny'...
- One third of millenials regret going to college
- Defending the Faith: A case for the... 61
- Boy Scouts open membership to all boys,... 43
- Journalists criticize Obama... 38
- IRS official Lerner invokes Fifth... 22
- Former IRS chief to Congress: Can't say... 21
- More Obama aides knew IRS targeted... 19
- US companies challenging contraception... 19
- Gallup poll shows shift in views on... 17