Our take: With all of the dispute in the United States about same-sex marriage, the Church of England is taking a stand on the issue.
It says giving civil ceremonies the status of marriage would "alter the intrinsic nature of marriage as the union of a man and a woman".
The Home Office said religious bodies would not have to conduct gay marriages but the Church also fears this could be challenged in European courts.
Gay rights campaigners accuse the Church of "scaremongering".
- 17 years later, parents find kidnapped...
- Can you name your U.S. Representative? See...
- The 20 most innovative tech hubs in America...
- Couple married 67 years dies holding hands
- Leonard Nimoy, famous as Mr. Spock on 'Star...
- 34 of the best Lemony Snicket quotes
- Debates rage over color of dress photographed...
- Congress OKs 1-week bill to keep Homeland...
- Gov. Herbert: 'Let chips go where they... 70
- Defying GOP, Obama vetoes Keystone XL... 51
- FCC approves 'net neutrality' rules for... 26
- Congress OKs 1-week bill to keep... 22
- Obama to governors: DHS shutdown would... 16
- Clinton says she would push... 16
- Calling for cooperation, Obama engages... 15
- Democrats caught between Obama,... 15