Our take: With all of the dispute in the United States about same-sex marriage, the Church of England is taking a stand on the issue.
It says giving civil ceremonies the status of marriage would "alter the intrinsic nature of marriage as the union of a man and a woman".
The Home Office said religious bodies would not have to conduct gay marriages but the Church also fears this could be challenged in European courts.
Gay rights campaigners accuse the Church of "scaremongering".
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- Religious companies can now opt out of paying...
- Deported Mexicans find new life at call centers
- Huckabee: 'Stop the fight' over Common Core
- Bridezilla, meet 'Bridechilla'
- Photographer is using portraits to combat...
- Rev. Al Sharpton plays prominent role in...
- Administration condemns Russian move into...
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host... 121
- Obama vows justice for killers of U.S.... 29
- 'Don't know' if Missouri teen shot with... 26
- Police, protesters collide again in... 25
- Texas Gov. Perry assembles high-powered... 23
- Federal judge: Florida gay-marriage ban... 17
- Allow student loan bankruptcies,... 17
- Another American hostage at risk by... 13