Our take: With all of the dispute in the United States about same-sex marriage, the Church of England is taking a stand on the issue.
It says giving civil ceremonies the status of marriage would "alter the intrinsic nature of marriage as the union of a man and a woman".
The Home Office said religious bodies would not have to conduct gay marriages but the Church also fears this could be challenged in European courts.
Gay rights campaigners accuse the Church of "scaremongering".
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- Scotland votes to remain part of United Kingdom
- Review: Larger iPhones eliminate reason to...
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video sentenced
- How much America wants to be taxed
- 'Gotham' actor's Penguin inspired by DC Comics
- Chiefs' Reid dedicated to domestic abuse victims
- Fence-jumper made it through front door of...
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 27
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 19
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a... 15
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 12
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- US won't rule out working with Iran... 7
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at... 6