Our take: With all of the dispute in the United States about same-sex marriage, the Church of England is taking a stand on the issue.
It says giving civil ceremonies the status of marriage would "alter the intrinsic nature of marriage as the union of a man and a woman".
The Home Office said religious bodies would not have to conduct gay marriages but the Church also fears this could be challenged in European courts.
Gay rights campaigners accuse the Church of "scaremongering".
- Vegas’ water drying up
- Grieving borrowers told to repay student loan
- Justin Bieber apologizes for Japan war shrine...
- Sherpas leave Everest; some expeditions nix...
- Supreme Court upholds Michigan's affirmative...
- Wellness programs grow more popular with...
- Keflezighi's Boston win a boost for shoe sponsor
- Misdiagnosed bipolar: One girl’s...
- Affordable Care Act only chips away at... 26
- Supreme Court upholds Michigan's... 25
- Judge: Indiana hasn't given valid... 20
- Grieving borrowers told to repay... 19
- Vegas’ water drying up 15
- Public smoke-out marks pot holiday in... 12
- Some countries get Obama, but want his... 11
- Boogeymen and shady deals define spin... 11