Our take: With all of the dispute in the United States about same-sex marriage, the Church of England is taking a stand on the issue.
It says giving civil ceremonies the status of marriage would "alter the intrinsic nature of marriage as the union of a man and a woman".
The Home Office said religious bodies would not have to conduct gay marriages but the Church also fears this could be challenged in European courts.
Gay rights campaigners accuse the Church of "scaremongering".
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- NTSB: Plane that crashed in Arizona killing...
- Witnesses at Utah trial: No security-camera...
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias...
- Ginsburg: High court won't 'duck' gay marriage
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit against Obama
- Israel vows to destroy Hamas tunnels, with or...
- House leaders abandon border bill
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 53
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the... 46
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit... 36
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias... 29
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort 29
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should... 28
- House leaders abandon border bill 21
- GOP-led House approves lawsuit against... 14