Our take: With all of the dispute in the United States about same-sex marriage, the Church of England is taking a stand on the issue.
It says giving civil ceremonies the status of marriage would "alter the intrinsic nature of marriage as the union of a man and a woman".
The Home Office said religious bodies would not have to conduct gay marriages but the Church also fears this could be challenged in European courts.
Gay rights campaigners accuse the Church of "scaremongering".
- Striking or spanking a child is not a...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt list,...
- Child poverty just dropped for the first time...
- US tobacco growers brace for tougher competition
- School police stock up on free military gear
- Catholic leaders' deliberations over divorce...
- Here's why church choirs are dying
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 69
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 12
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 12
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a... 12
- School police stock up on free military... 10
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 9
- US won't rule out working with Iran... 6