Our take: With all of the dispute in the United States about same-sex marriage, the Church of England is taking a stand on the issue.
It says giving civil ceremonies the status of marriage would "alter the intrinsic nature of marriage as the union of a man and a woman".
The Home Office said religious bodies would not have to conduct gay marriages but the Church also fears this could be challenged in European courts.
Gay rights campaigners accuse the Church of "scaremongering".
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- Virus expert sees 'silver lining' in Ebola...
- The poorest of the poor in many Third World...
- Oscar Pistorius starts serving 5-year prison...
- Expelled Nazis got millions in Social Security
- Indiana man's confession leads to 7 bodies
- Jodi Arias sentencing retrial opens in Arizona
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Africa and...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 47
- Vatican alters draft report translation... 23
- New Ebola 'czar' knows Washington, but... 22
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 21
- On campaign trail, Obama says GOP is... 15
- Gay marriage becomes legal in Arizona,... 14
- Expelled Nazis got millions in Social... 10
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign... 9