Our take: With all of the dispute in the United States about same-sex marriage, the Church of England is taking a stand on the issue.
It says giving civil ceremonies the status of marriage would "alter the intrinsic nature of marriage as the union of a man and a woman".
The Home Office said religious bodies would not have to conduct gay marriages but the Church also fears this could be challenged in European courts.
Gay rights campaigners accuse the Church of "scaremongering".
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- NFL says Husain Abdullah should not have been...
- Why we don't need to worry that Utah cities...
- Colorado high court considers pot firing case
- Religious leaders agree ISIS must be stopped,...
- Luck, instinct determined fates of volcano...
- Interracial marriages on the rise, but social...
- Obama goal of Gitmo closure stalled at Pentagon
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 38
- Republicans rallying behind religious... 32
- Obama: US 'underestimated' Islamic... 24
- New mom Chelsea Clinton celebrates baby... 13
- Police: Fired worker beheaded Oklahoma... 12
- Tens of thousands of immigrant families... 11
- Marijuana could deliver more than $800... 10
- Parents of Michael Brown unmoved by... 7