The Denver Post, Helen H. Richardson, Associated Press
Our take: With the climate changing, scientists believe that the characteristics of the Colorado wildfire could be something that will be seen often in the future. In that case, it is important to know the characteristics to take preventative action.
The Colorado fires feature "a lot of the characteristics we would expect under climate change," according to climate scientists.
For the past thirty years, residents of tiny Laporte, Colo., near the Wyoming border have gathered inside Bob's Coffee Shop to swap gossip over coffee and danishes near the dense pine forest of Lory State Park. But since the weekend, Bob's has become a very different kind of social hub: a de facto refugee camp for homeowners fleeing what many here call the worst wildfire in decades.
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch
- Dirty creek, old purse solve four-decade...
- Appeals judges question right to sue in...
- Police: Student ate more pot than recommended...
- How does the world feel about morals and...
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet
- Get married, stay married? No fault divorce...
- Sentenced but never jailed, robber who went...
- Obama: Religious intolerance has... 77
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 46
- The dangers of financially illiterate... 30
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care 23
- Bureau of Land Management to pursue... 22
- Report projects health law's subsidies... 21
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 20
- Sentenced but never jailed, robber who... 16