From scrubbing floors to Ivy League: Homeless student to go to dream college
Our take: With no place to call their own, homeless children are at a significant disadvantage when it comes to education. They frequently switch schools and are more likely than their housed peers to miss school because of illness, according to the National Center for Children in Poverty. As a result, homeless children are nine times more likely to repeat a grade and four times more likely to drop out of school. Eighteen-year-old Dawn Loggins' story of overcoming homelessness and abandonment, keeping a 4.0 and landing herself a place at Harvard University is a goosebump-inducing tale of determination Vivian Kuo at CNN writes.
"With her long, straight dark blonde hair and black-rimmed glasses, Dawn looks a bit like Avril Lavigne. But her life is a far cry from that of a privileged pop star.
"She was homeless at the start of the school year, abandoned by her drug-abusing parents. The teachers and others in town pitched in — donating clothes and providing medical and dental care. She got a janitorial job through a school workforce assistance program.
"She's grateful for the work. But it's where she's going next, beyond the walls of Burns, that excites her most. She applied to four colleges within North Carolina and one dream university. She'll graduate soon before heading off, leaving her dust pan behind."
- Fact check: Obama's claims on illegal...
- Winners and losers under Obama's immigration...
- Investigators may have recovered up to 30,000...
- Ice snarls Michigan roadways, airport runways
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys' for kids
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring, Elder L....
- Homes collapse, 39 injured in magnitude-6.8...
- Redistribution of homes begins in Utah FLDS town
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 63
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 55
- Obama to announce immigration action... 30
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 28
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring,... 22
- Fact check: Obama's claims on illegal... 18
- President Obama's immigration speech... 14
- Boehner: 'We will not stand idle' on... 14