From scrubbing floors to Ivy League: Homeless student to go to dream college
Our take: With no place to call their own, homeless children are at a significant disadvantage when it comes to education. They frequently switch schools and are more likely than their housed peers to miss school because of illness, according to the National Center for Children in Poverty. As a result, homeless children are nine times more likely to repeat a grade and four times more likely to drop out of school. Eighteen-year-old Dawn Loggins' story of overcoming homelessness and abandonment, keeping a 4.0 and landing herself a place at Harvard University is a goosebump-inducing tale of determination Vivian Kuo at CNN writes.
"With her long, straight dark blonde hair and black-rimmed glasses, Dawn looks a bit like Avril Lavigne. But her life is a far cry from that of a privileged pop star.
"She was homeless at the start of the school year, abandoned by her drug-abusing parents. The teachers and others in town pitched in — donating clothes and providing medical and dental care. She got a janitorial job through a school workforce assistance program.
"She's grateful for the work. But it's where she's going next, beyond the walls of Burns, that excites her most. She applied to four colleges within North Carolina and one dream university. She'll graduate soon before heading off, leaving her dust pan behind."
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are they...
- Scholarship lotteries, popular with everyone,...
- 'I am Adam Lanza's Mother' author Liza Long...
- Racing wildfire engulfs homes in California town
- Top 15 states for education
- Wearing this one thing can help boost a...
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a threat to...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 67
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- Obama 'confident' of Islamic State... 19
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 13
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 11
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 10
- Can Obama wage war without consent of... 5
- Rare snowstorm slams Rockies states,... 5