Brigham Young University professor Spencer Fluhman, Religious Dispatches Joanna Brooks and Columbia University professor Dorian Warren recently sat down with MSNBC's Melissa Harris-Perry to discuss American's understanding of the LDS Church.
With the creation of the Broadway musical "The Book of Mormon," the Twilight books and movie series by LDS author Stephenie Meyer, and now Mitt Romney's presidential candidacy, the LDS faith has been thrust into the spotlight.
The "Mormon Moment," according to Brooks, is showing America how little it knows about the 6 million Mormons living in the country.
According to Fluhman, Americans as a whole don't know much about faiths outside their own.
"Americans practice faith more than Western Europe countries practice faith but know less about everyone else's faith than the Europeans do," Fluhman said.
Warren noted that while Americans may be familiar with the aspects of Mormonism that pop culture and TV highlight, they generally aren't interested in learning more.
"We put down blinders and say, 'They are not Christian. They are somewhere over there. They have another book in addition to the Bible. We don't know what that is all about.' So I think that in such an evangelical country, we resist wanting to know about the other," Warren said.
Brooks hopes the "Mormon Moment" will not only highlight the history of the church but also allow Latter-day Saints to tell their own stories.
"... Our story is a lot about sacrificing to build a community, being willing to be different for a good reason, holding yourself to these high ideals, and that's a story I hope the 'Mormon Moment' will bring out."
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Leo Tolstoy's view of Mormons as teaching...
- Host of 'The Locator,' former Mormon bishop...
- Mormon youths celebrate reopening of the...
- Draper family shows that tragedy can reveal...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- New Mormon Message video highlights how much...
- No more excuses: Mormon dad designs home...
- Defending the Faith: Columbus among the... 71
- New Mormon Message video highlights how... 35
- Leo Tolstoy's view of Mormons as... 25
- No more excuses: Mormon dad designs... 19
- New DVD tells story of David... 14
- 10 ideas of what God looks like 9
- Hamblin & Peterson: Biblical names for... 8
- Church leaders can learn from NFL... 7