Brigham Young University professor Spencer Fluhman, Religious Dispatches Joanna Brooks and Columbia University professor Dorian Warren recently sat down with MSNBC's Melissa Harris-Perry to discuss American's understanding of the LDS Church.
With the creation of the Broadway musical "The Book of Mormon," the Twilight books and movie series by LDS author Stephenie Meyer, and now Mitt Romney's presidential candidacy, the LDS faith has been thrust into the spotlight.
The "Mormon Moment," according to Brooks, is showing America how little it knows about the 6 million Mormons living in the country.
According to Fluhman, Americans as a whole don't know much about faiths outside their own.
"Americans practice faith more than Western Europe countries practice faith but know less about everyone else's faith than the Europeans do," Fluhman said.
Warren noted that while Americans may be familiar with the aspects of Mormonism that pop culture and TV highlight, they generally aren't interested in learning more.
"We put down blinders and say, 'They are not Christian. They are somewhere over there. They have another book in addition to the Bible. We don't know what that is all about.' So I think that in such an evangelical country, we resist wanting to know about the other," Warren said.
Brooks hopes the "Mormon Moment" will not only highlight the history of the church but also allow Latter-day Saints to tell their own stories.
"... Our story is a lot about sacrificing to build a community, being willing to be different for a good reason, holding yourself to these high ideals, and that's a story I hope the 'Mormon Moment' will bring out."
- LDS Church leaders release letter about...
- First Presidency sends letter with counsel...
- What the LDS Church said about the Supreme...
- Nate Sharp: 'Miraculous events' led to...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: From 'America's Got...
- Jerusalem family finds a 2,000-year-old...
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Tabernacle Choir performs in the rain near...
- What the LDS Church said about the... 180
- First Presidency sends letter with... 129
- When Satan steals your motherhood 82
- Religious leaders ponder next steps... 61
- Experts: Decision raises religious... 52
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy... 41
- Where were the Twelve Apostles when... 34
- LDS Church leaders release letter about... 28