Our take: Gov. Bobby Jindal, R-La., has signed the Hear a Heartbeat Act into law in the state of Louisiana. The pro-life bill (S.B. 708) will allow women the chance to see their unborn baby on an ultrasound. Another requirement in the bill will force abortion providers to let all mothers listen to the heartbeat of their baby within 24 hours of an abortion and will require them to give mothers medical information about the development of their babies.
Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, on Thursday, signed into law a key pro-life bill that allows women a chance to see an ultrasound of their unborn baby before considering an abortion. Ultrasounds have proven effective in helping mothers weighing a possible abortion choose life for their baby.
The Louisiana legislature passed SB 708, the Hear the Heartbeat Act, authored by Senator Sharon Weston Broome, a pro-life Democrat. Representative Valarie Hodges, a pro-life Republican, carried the bill in the House, which approved it on a 95-1 vote.
Benjamin Clapper, Executive Director of Louisiana Right to Life, said the following upon House passage: We are thrilled that the House of Representatives overwhelmingly passed SB 708. Abortion facilities exist to stop the beating of an unborn child's heart. The Hear the Heartbeat Act gives an otherwise voiceless child a voice through the playing of their heartbeat.
Clapper said SB 708, an LARTL flagship piece of legislation drafted by the Bioethics Defense Fund, will require abortion facilities to make the unborn childs heartbeat audible for the woman at least 24 hours prior to an abortion (unless she requests and signs an opt-out form). In addition, SB 708 improves the Ultrasound Before Abortion law by requiring abortion facilities to place the ultrasound screen in view of the woman (the woman then has the choice whether to view the ultrasound images of the unborn child).
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- President Uchtdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Well-prepared Scouts rescue couple off Mount...
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former executive...
- Watch: Mormon missionaries save baby ducks
- ValueSpeak: A tip of the hat to innocence
- LDS temple rises in Philadelphia
- LDS Church releases video about overcoming...
- Ask Angela: I'm not getting married in... 91
- LDS Church releases video about... 44
- Defending the Faith: Paul and his list... 27
- LDS stake presidency participates in... 19
- BYU coach, players answer questions at... 16
- Is James Foley a martyr? A brutal death... 8
- Want to keep your faith in college?... 7
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS... 6