Ten years after kidnapping ordeal, missionary speaks about reliance on God's strength
Our take: Missionaries Martin and Gracia Burnham were kidnapped by Filipino Muslim terrorists in 2002, spending just over a year in captivity and on the run in the jungle and desperately trying to survive. On the day of their rescue, Martin Burnham was murdered and Gracia was freed. On the 10 year anniversary of their ordeal, Gracia has written a book and has spoken openly of her struggles, her faith in God and asking Him to "build forgiveness" in her heart for the men who tried to destroy her.
In 2002, millions followed the kidnapping of missionaries Martin and Gracia Burnham. They were taken hostage by the Filipino terror group, Abu Sayyaf, and were held for more than a year before a rescue attempt resulted in Martin's death and Gracia's release.
On the 10-year anniversary of Martin's death, CBN News Anchor Wendy Griffith spoke with Gracia, who is using their story to set others free.
It became one of the year's biggest stories: missionaries Martin and Gracia Burnham held hostage by the Abu Sayyaf - a radical Muslim group known for beheading victims if ransoms were not paid on time.
The couple had been celebrating their 18th wedding anniversary at a resort in Palawan when terrorist kidnapped them and more than a dozen others.
Read more about Missonary finds forgivness after kidnapping ordeal on CBN.com.
- Text of Obama's speech at Hiroshima Peace...
- Parishioners hold last service at church...
- Why the University of Miami plans to hire a...
- Sherry Young: The trip of a lifetime to the...
- President Uchtdorf visits Europe, returns to...
- President Uchtdorf recalls being a refugee,...
- New mission presidents
- Friday Minute: An open letter to my...
- Why the University of Miami plans to... 45
- Elizabeth Smart picks BYU rape response... 39
- First-edition Book of Mormon to be part... 18
- Watch: Mormon missionaries rescue... 7
- Why don't more Americans ask faith... 6
- Sherry Young: The trip of a lifetime to... 5
- Remembering Elder L. Tom Perry 1 year... 3
- Case involving Charleston church... 3