Ten years after kidnapping ordeal, missionary speaks about reliance on God's strength
Our take: Missionaries Martin and Gracia Burnham were kidnapped by Filipino Muslim terrorists in 2002, spending just over a year in captivity and on the run in the jungle and desperately trying to survive. On the day of their rescue, Martin Burnham was murdered and Gracia was freed. On the 10 year anniversary of their ordeal, Gracia has written a book and has spoken openly of her struggles, her faith in God and asking Him to "build forgiveness" in her heart for the men who tried to destroy her.
In 2002, millions followed the kidnapping of missionaries Martin and Gracia Burnham. They were taken hostage by the Filipino terror group, Abu Sayyaf, and were held for more than a year before a rescue attempt resulted in Martin's death and Gracia's release.
On the 10-year anniversary of Martin's death, CBN News Anchor Wendy Griffith spoke with Gracia, who is using their story to set others free.
It became one of the year's biggest stories: missionaries Martin and Gracia Burnham held hostage by the Abu Sayyaf - a radical Muslim group known for beheading victims if ransoms were not paid on time.
The couple had been celebrating their 18th wedding anniversary at a resort in Palawan when terrorist kidnapped them and more than a dozen others.
Read more about Missonary finds forgivness after kidnapping ordeal on CBN.com.
- LDS Church to create new missions in Utah and...
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- 19 inspiring Christmas quotes from President...
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey of...
- Students' moving video on the Christmas truce...
- How would LDS be affected by renewed US-Cuba...
- Christmas without Jesus
- 'American Idol' alum Brooke White creates...
- Ask Angela: LDS bridal showers are out... 48
- Defending the Faith: A modern witness... 42
- How would LDS be affected by renewed... 27
- Christmas without Jesus 19
- LDS Church to create new missions in... 18
- Chris Hicks: Has Hollywood found new... 16
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 11
- Visiting minister urges unity among... 10