Ten years after kidnapping ordeal, missionary speaks about reliance on God's strength
Our take: Missionaries Martin and Gracia Burnham were kidnapped by Filipino Muslim terrorists in 2002, spending just over a year in captivity and on the run in the jungle and desperately trying to survive. On the day of their rescue, Martin Burnham was murdered and Gracia was freed. On the 10 year anniversary of their ordeal, Gracia has written a book and has spoken openly of her struggles, her faith in God and asking Him to "build forgiveness" in her heart for the men who tried to destroy her.
In 2002, millions followed the kidnapping of missionaries Martin and Gracia Burnham. They were taken hostage by the Filipino terror group, Abu Sayyaf, and were held for more than a year before a rescue attempt resulted in Martin's death and Gracia's release.
On the 10-year anniversary of Martin's death, CBN News Anchor Wendy Griffith spoke with Gracia, who is using their story to set others free.
It became one of the year's biggest stories: missionaries Martin and Gracia Burnham held hostage by the Abu Sayyaf - a radical Muslim group known for beheading victims if ransoms were not paid on time.
The couple had been celebrating their 18th wedding anniversary at a resort in Palawan when terrorist kidnapped them and more than a dozen others.
Read more about Missonary finds forgivness after kidnapping ordeal on CBN.com.
- Sister Frances J. Monson's legacy of love...
- LDS Church responds to Boy Scouts of...
- Letters to family show Steven Powell still...
- Live streaming: Frances J. Monson funeral
- Defending the Faith: A case for the...
- USA Today takes note of LDS sister missionaries
- 'Hollywood goes to Mormon country': BYU...
- Boy Scouts of America to make membership...
- Defending the Faith: A case for the... 44
- 'Tattooed Mormon' Al Fox shares her... 40
- Secretary of State John Kerry says... 26
- Muslim leaders in U.S. facing... 25
- LDS Church responds to Boy Scouts of... 25
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 23
- Wright Words: Oklahoma tornado provides... 23
- Supreme Court to weigh in on... 17