Ten years after kidnapping ordeal, missionary speaks about reliance on God's strength
Our take: Missionaries Martin and Gracia Burnham were kidnapped by Filipino Muslim terrorists in 2002, spending just over a year in captivity and on the run in the jungle and desperately trying to survive. On the day of their rescue, Martin Burnham was murdered and Gracia was freed. On the 10 year anniversary of their ordeal, Gracia has written a book and has spoken openly of her struggles, her faith in God and asking Him to "build forgiveness" in her heart for the men who tried to destroy her.
In 2002, millions followed the kidnapping of missionaries Martin and Gracia Burnham. They were taken hostage by the Filipino terror group, Abu Sayyaf, and were held for more than a year before a rescue attempt resulted in Martin's death and Gracia's release.
On the 10-year anniversary of Martin's death, CBN News Anchor Wendy Griffith spoke with Gracia, who is using their story to set others free.
It became one of the year's biggest stories: missionaries Martin and Gracia Burnham held hostage by the Abu Sayyaf - a radical Muslim group known for beheading victims if ransoms were not paid on time.
The couple had been celebrating their 18th wedding anniversary at a resort in Palawan when terrorist kidnapped them and more than a dozen others.
Read more about Missonary finds forgivness after kidnapping ordeal on CBN.com.
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- 'Studio C' cast talks to LDS teens about...
- Super Bowl quarterback Tom Brady relies on...
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about...
- Clark Gilbert named new president of BYU-Idaho
- LDS statement could move Utah...
- LDS Church's official website to evolve over...
- See why this Christian mother is giving up...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 186
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 36
- LDS statement could move Utah... 29
- See why this Christian mother is giving... 15
- Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay... 13
- Some Republican presidential hopefuls... 12
- Republican White House maybes court... 8
- Clark Gilbert named new president of... 8