The U.S. tax law of charities provides IRS code section 501(c)(3) charity status to nonprofit, educational organizations. Recent news reports indicate Planned Parenthood has this charity status, but that it recently endorsed President Barack Obama for president in the next election. IRS code section 501(c)(3) expressly prohibits any such charity from campaigning for any candidate for public office.
Apparently, we will soon see whether the IRS under Obama will enforce this law, as it has done strictly in the past, and revoke the exempt status of Planned Parenthood, or whether Obama's people will cause the IRS to wink at this violation — abusing the IRS's powers as President Nixon was properly denounced for doing.
Edwin H. Beus
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a liberal?
- Jay Evensen: We're becoming a nation that...
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that canceled...
- Anne Loeser: Reverse trends about breast cancer
- Letter: Lessons for Greg Bell
- In our opinion: Dropouts face high risk of...
- My view: New treatment can cure Hepatitis C
- Letter: The Romneys' new center
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that... 150
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a... 69
- In our opinion: New conservative war on... 53
- In our opinion: Where has the family... 53
- Jay Evensen: We're becoming a nation... 34
- Letter: What is ‘common good?’ 31
- Robert Bennett: Former Defense... 29
- Letter: Lessons for Greg Bell 28