The U.S. tax law of charities provides IRS code section 501(c)(3) charity status to nonprofit, educational organizations. Recent news reports indicate Planned Parenthood has this charity status, but that it recently endorsed President Barack Obama for president in the next election. IRS code section 501(c)(3) expressly prohibits any such charity from campaigning for any candidate for public office.
Apparently, we will soon see whether the IRS under Obama will enforce this law, as it has done strictly in the past, and revoke the exempt status of Planned Parenthood, or whether Obama's people will cause the IRS to wink at this violation — abusing the IRS's powers as President Nixon was properly denounced for doing.
Edwin H. Beus
- W. Bradford Wilcox: Why the working-class...
- About Utah: They're best in the world
- This year's most popular editorials
- In our opinion: Flawed torture report didn't...
- Robert Bennett: Lesson for Cruz —...
- In our opinion: The 3 levels of Christmas
- John Florez: Utah's prison relocation is like...
- Letter: Condoning torture
- Letter: Patriots or sheep? 65
- In our opinion: Flawed torture report... 51
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net 48
- Letter: Condoning torture 40
- My view: Chaffetz named... 34
- Jay Evensen: Cuba not likely to change... 34
- John Florez: Utah's prison relocation... 27
- Robert Bennett: Lesson for Cruz —... 26