The U.S. tax law of charities provides IRS code section 501(c)(3) charity status to nonprofit, educational organizations. Recent news reports indicate Planned Parenthood has this charity status, but that it recently endorsed President Barack Obama for president in the next election. IRS code section 501(c)(3) expressly prohibits any such charity from campaigning for any candidate for public office.
Apparently, we will soon see whether the IRS under Obama will enforce this law, as it has done strictly in the past, and revoke the exempt status of Planned Parenthood, or whether Obama's people will cause the IRS to wink at this violation — abusing the IRS's powers as President Nixon was properly denounced for doing.
Edwin H. Beus
- Jay Evensen: Open wide and swallow your tax...
- In our opinion: SB296 bridges...
- Robert J. Samuelson: Net neutrality could...
- George F. Will: IRS continues to act in...
- Dan Liljenquist: Looking to the Supreme Court...
- Natalie Gochnour: The best of Utah...
- Letter: Political police work
- Letter: Why such controversy?
- Bob Bennett: Climate change question... 97
- Letter: Same stale air 48
- My view: Common Core tests erode... 41
- Letter: Mandated freedom 37
- In our opinion: SB296 bridges... 30
- Dan Liljenquist: Looking to the Supreme... 29
- In our opinion: Talking of tax reform... 28
- Letter: Who's against Healthy Utah? 28