The U.S. tax law of charities provides IRS code section 501(c)(3) charity status to nonprofit, educational organizations. Recent news reports indicate Planned Parenthood has this charity status, but that it recently endorsed President Barack Obama for president in the next election. IRS code section 501(c)(3) expressly prohibits any such charity from campaigning for any candidate for public office.
Apparently, we will soon see whether the IRS under Obama will enforce this law, as it has done strictly in the past, and revoke the exempt status of Planned Parenthood, or whether Obama's people will cause the IRS to wink at this violation — abusing the IRS's powers as President Nixon was properly denounced for doing.
Edwin H. Beus
- White House press corps has been turned into...
- Facts about the Boy Scouts of America
- George F. Will: Obama takes a page from...
- My view: MMR vaccine caused my son's autism
- Commentary claims liberals are shocked by...
- Letters: No welfare, ever
- In our opinion: Sharing ideas across schools...
- Letters: Bennett is right
- Letters: No welfare, ever 81
- Letters: Move to the center 37
- Tolerance and the same-sex marriage debate 34
- My view: Why moderates lost the caucus... 33
- Dan Liljenquist: IRS scandal is an... 32
- Richard Davis: Abortion laws should... 29
- Letters: Dismantle IRS 25
- Robert J. Samuelson: Can Americans stem... 21