Senior Chris Carter concluded his BYU career with an eighth-place finish in the 400-meter hurdles in Friday's meet. As a point scorer, Carter is a virtual lock to earn All-America honors from the United States Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA). All-America honors will officially be announced on Monday by the USTFCCCA.
WSU'S HENRY POSTS GRITTY 11TH-PLACE FINISH: Going into Friday night'S 3,000-meter steeplechase finals at the NCAA championships, Weber State's Amber Henry figured nothing could hold her back — not even a broken clavicle, torn meniscus and bruised femur were going to kept her down. Turns outs, it got worse before it got better.
Henry, a junior from Mountain View, Wyoming and the 2012 Big Sky Conference champion, was cruising along but, halfway through the race, she caught one of the barriers, fell and in the process and dislocated her arm. Undaunted, Henry used her jersey as a sling for the next lap and caught back up with the pack. Just after that lap, she popped the elbow back in place and took
She ran her slowest time of the year, 10.26.30, and finished 11th, but earned the respect and admiration of not only her fellow competitors, but the fans as well.
"Everybody thought she had broken her arm," said WSU assistant track and field coach Paul Pilkington. "Everyone kind of gasped when she got it back in place, then cheered her on. What a unbelievably tough competitor."
Her 11th-place finish earned her second team All-America honors.
UTE HIGH JUMPER PLACES 22ND: Senior Brianna LeRoy of the University of Utah cleared a height of 5-83/4 to take 22nd place in the high jump finals Friday.
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 68
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 22
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 13