Deseret News archives
Performers from as far away as India, the United Kingdom and Beijing are among the artists visiting Brigham Young University's stages this coming year. Season tickets are now on sale.
Mandy Patinkin has won an Emmy and a Tony Award for his work on television and on stage, but he is probably most well-known as the vengeful Inigo Montoya from "The Princess Bride." He will be performing an evening of popular songs, old favorites and Broadway classics on Aug. 31 in the de Jong Concert Hall.
Scotland's Puppet State Theatre and the Beijing Dance Academy will also pay a visit in September. The Paul Taylor 2 Dance Company will present a six-person ensemble performance Oct. 4. The London-based chamber choir Tenebrae, founded and conducted by a former member of the King's Singers, Nigel Short, will fly in for their performance on Nov. 1. The Utah Symphony will be performing in November and in March.
The five musicians in the Aulos Ensemble will be in the Madsen Recital Hall on Feb. 8. New York's Aquila Theatre Company will present "Cyrano de Bergerac" on March 12 and one of India's foremost dance companies, the Nrityagram Dance Ensemble, will be on stage March 14. Fiddler Natalie MacMaster will join the Folk Music Ensemble March 19, and finally the season will conclude with Disney's "Choo-Choo Soul with Genevieve" on May 4.
The BYU media arts department also has a variety in its lineup for the 2012-13 season, including "The Legend of the Sleepy Hollow," Shakespeare's "Henry V," a stage adaption of Madeleine L'Engle's "A Wrinkle in Time," Andrew Lloyd Webber's "The Phantom of the Opera" starting Jan. 16 and much more.
For more information, visit byuarts.com or contact the Fine Arts Ticket Office at 801-422-4322.
- An 'unlikely father of five': Comedian Jim...
- Clean Cut: '20 things we should say more often'
- 7 young musicians to perform with Utah...
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: The difference between...
- The Clean Cut: 'You poked my heart,' boy says...
- Human nature to be put to the test in...
- Utah Shakespeare Festival stages worthy,...
- 'Frozen' Disney World ride plans upset some...
- Body Worlds exhibit debuts this weekend... 2
- The challenge of using media to tell... 2
- 'Frozen' Disney World ride plans upset... 2
- George Clooney marries human rights... 1
- How to talk to kids about terrorism 1
- An unusually high number of PG-rated... 1
- An 'unlikely father of five': Comedian... 1
- The Clean Cut: 'You poked my heart,'... 1