Brian Skoloff, Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY — A Utah distillery is happy Idaho will sell its cheeky Five Wives vodka by special order.
However, Ogden's Own Distillery lawyer Jonathan Turley said Thursday the company also wants Idaho regulators to stock Five Wives on shelves at state liquor stores.
Regulators are considering the request.
Idaho regulators initially refused to allow any sales of the product — with its not-so-subtle reference to polygamy — after branding it offensive to Mormons who make up a quarter of Idaho's population. The church dropped the practice of polygamy in 1890.
Those regulators reversed course on Wednesday and agreed to take special warehouse orders for the product. But that hasn't satisfied the distillery.
"We still remain deeply concerned about Idaho's original claim of authority that they can ban any product deemed offensive to a part of its population," said Turley, a George Washington University professor.
Turley said making Five Wives available only by special order is a half-measure and "an enormous hassle" for consumers and taverns that want it.
The distillery originally asked Idaho to stock Five Wives on liquor-store shelves. When that request was denied, the company asked for special-order status.
Turley said Jeffrey R. Anderson, director of the Idaho State Liquor Division, agreed to decide by July whether to approve the request for shelf sales. Anderson didn't immediately return a phone message Thursday from The Associated Press.
"We will be watching the process," Turley said, suggesting the company might sue the state if the request is denied.
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor LaVoy...
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Report: Communication breakdowns contributed...
- Bountiful man charged with murder in death of...
- Heavy ski traffic highlights need for better...
- Housing prices expected to climb in 2016,...
- Recent missionary killed after carjacking was...
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial in...
- Son of Oregon occupier killed by police... 106
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 44
- State senator wants Utah to declare... 39
- Recent missionary killed after... 32
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 19
- What you need to know about the effort... 15