Our take: A recently-released Gallup poll found that almost half of Americans, most of whom identified themselves as having a personal faith, believe in a creationism perspective of the universe rather than an evolution-based one. Additionally, the poll noted that 32 percent of Americans believe in a combination of evolution and creationism, believing that man did evolve but under God's guidance. These results come on the heels of a declaration by scientist Richard Leakey that scientific findings in the next 15-30 years will make a creationism belief impossible.
Despite scientists increasing efforts to convince the public to embrace evolution and to abandon creationism, it seems Americans views on the matter have changed little over the past three decades. New research from Gallup conducted earlier this month found that 46 percent of Americans still embrace creationism, the notion that God directly created human beings in their present form at one point in the last 10,000 years.
The numbers that extend beyond this are equally fascinating. While nearly half of the nation believes in the aforementioned view, an additional 32 percent maintain that humans evolved but with Gods guidance. Taken in its collective, this means that 78 percent of Americans believe that God played a substantial role in mankinds creation. An additional 15 percent of respondents embrace evolution with no involvement from the Almighty.
Recently, famed scientist Richard Leakey promised that it wont be long before everyone including those who fiercely maintain that creationism explains mans development accept evolution. In the next 15 to 30 years, Leakey believes that scientific advancements will make embracing such a notion a necessity.
- 100 inspirational quotes from Mormon leaders
- LDS missionaries share messages about...
- President Uchtdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved legal...
- Well-prepared LDS Scouts rescue couple off...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- 6 Mormon sisters share uplifting music with...
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved... 65
- BYU coach, players answer questions at... 17
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS... 8
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former... 6
- What does heaven look like? Here are 10... 6
- Watch: Mormon missionaries save baby ducks 3
- Brigham Young, Utah War topic of... 3