Our take: A recently-released Gallup poll found that almost half of Americans, most of whom identified themselves as having a personal faith, believe in a creationism perspective of the universe rather than an evolution-based one. Additionally, the poll noted that 32 percent of Americans believe in a combination of evolution and creationism, believing that man did evolve but under God's guidance. These results come on the heels of a declaration by scientist Richard Leakey that scientific findings in the next 15-30 years will make a creationism belief impossible.
Despite scientists increasing efforts to convince the public to embrace evolution and to abandon creationism, it seems Americans views on the matter have changed little over the past three decades. New research from Gallup conducted earlier this month found that 46 percent of Americans still embrace creationism, the notion that God directly created human beings in their present form at one point in the last 10,000 years.
The numbers that extend beyond this are equally fascinating. While nearly half of the nation believes in the aforementioned view, an additional 32 percent maintain that humans evolved but with Gods guidance. Taken in its collective, this means that 78 percent of Americans believe that God played a substantial role in mankinds creation. An additional 15 percent of respondents embrace evolution with no involvement from the Almighty.
Recently, famed scientist Richard Leakey promised that it wont be long before everyone including those who fiercely maintain that creationism explains mans development accept evolution. In the next 15 to 30 years, Leakey believes that scientific advancements will make embracing such a notion a necessity.
- Number of LDS converts, missionaries...
- Seeking and sorrowing: Sisters of the Prophet...
- Are church youth dances outdated?
- Returned Mormon missionary wins Ms. Virginia...
- Rare LDS Church document discovered that...
- Defending the Faith: The mystery of the...
- Joseph and Emma Smith as parents
- Elder Nelson dedicates Life Sciences...
- Defending the Faith: The mystery of the... 72
- Faith groups urge Supreme Court to... 61
- Are church youth dances outdated? 56
- Returned Mormon missionary wins Ms.... 38
- Number of LDS converts, missionaries... 37
- Elder Nelson dedicates Life Sciences... 13
- Okla. attorney general wants private... 12
- Thousands of Churches to Join April 26... 10